Notices

Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD)

Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
I'l look it up now, thanks. Does it go away or what? I say that I'm not suffering with it but the reality is I am. I go to the city for a day and it's clear I am pretty much helpless and alone. And I'm more or less stuck in an extension of the cycle of it otherwise. I've managed to cut ties with one side of my family but it was difficult, and I lost everything in the process.
It doesn't go away, in my experience, but you can do work that makes it much better. I used a workbook called "I can't get over it" to work through some of the issues. It's written for people suffering from PTSD but I found I could substitute "childhood trauma" in my head for many of the exercises and it worked well. Later on I also had a bit of EMDR which I think also helped, but again you have to employ the same trick in order to make it work. I'm not perfect, but much better than I used to be.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank's guys. I actually thought I was free of this before after much work, meditation and fasting practices etc however I had no actual clue what it was I was trying to free myself from. I thought it was just intense and prolonged depression, and I knew it was my FOO at the root of it but putting distance between us with my kid in the middle (and me with no say in the matter) has been the problem, so frustrating and near impossible for me to resolve. And I never felt comfortable about breaking down.

These exercises have been invaluable because they are matching my intellect to my intuition, a battle that has been raging within me for as long as I can remember now. My plan was always to get away and seek out counseling for what I felt. But how do you put words on something you don't know how to express? I never got away but I have to thank again the 2 users for making me aware that I'm not alone in this and that it can be communicated and understood outside of that battle within myself. Peace.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post
It doesn't go away, in my experience, but you can do work that makes it much better. I used a workbook called "I can't get over it" to work through some of the issues. It's written for people suffering from PTSD but I found I could substitute "childhood trauma" in my head for many of the exercises and it worked well. Later on I also had a bit of EMDR which I think also helped, but again you have to employ the same trick in order to make it work. I'm not perfect, but much better than I used to be.
One of the causes of PTSD is severe childhood trauma.