Notices

New here. Brother revealed addiction tonight

Old 07-26-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Brother revealed addiction tonight

hi there.

Tonight my brother revealed that he has a heroin addiction that has been going on for the better part of a year. He has struggled with alcohol, steroids, and Xanax in the past, but this is definitely a very large step downwards. The really disturbing thing, beyond the obvious, is that our mother died of a heroin overdose in 1996.

His bouts with alcohol, etc. took a lot out of me, and I can't dive back in to this. Especially because this time around I have a 3 year old,a wife, and my own business to run. He told me and his fiancée that he needs help. We begged him to go to a detox tonight. He swears he will go tomorrow. Of course i don't believe him.

I'm not sure what I am looking for, but I know that I will need support to get through this. I also know that there is a good chance he will die from this. I have buried my mother, my grandfather, and my grandmother. I never knew my father. He is the only one left and I don't know that I can handle it.

Thanks for listening
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Mersault!

There's lots of members here who are concerned about another's addictions. You'll find many relevant threads in these sections: The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

There are Al Anon Family Groups support meetings in most towns. Folks at these meetings are a great source of information about local recovery resources.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Oh boy, that's really tough. I'm not sure what to say really other than my heart goes out to you and I wish the very best for your brother. Here's hoping like anything that he goes into detox tomorrow. Maybe you could let him know it will kill you (figuratively speaking) if he destroys himself(?) You may have done that already.
Much love xxx
Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Mersault. Hang in there and like others mentioned, check out the Friends and Family forums too. You may find great support there.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mersault!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!