Notices

Timewarp

Old 07-23-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Timewarp

So there I was, in bed, waking up to what I thought was Day 4, and I was proud and excited because 4 days is more than half a week. I mean, that is something! Nope. July 21 was just 3 days ago. Bummer. Funny how long these days are lasting when I don't have alcohol to mark the end of the day.

On a serious note, though, last night was the first time I really thought "huh. My body is really expecting a drink." I had really bad anxiety last night and noticed a strong internal pull to go get a drink to knock the anxiety out. I didn't do it, though, because I really mean this sobriety thing. I was even given the grace to hear that voice almost as a 3rd party voice (no, not that kind of voice in my head ) that I could ignore without denying myself...it was denying that nut bag in my head who wanted something that was just not going to happen.

Another funny thing - my wife hasn't asked me to make her a drink since Monday. She always asks me to make her a drink at the end of the day. I wonder if she has just been following my lead...I sure hope that's not true. That idea kind of makes me sad. I don't want to be a pied piper of bad stuff in my own house.

John
Old 07-23-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

firstly... congrats! 3 days will soon be 4 days. and before long it will be weeks. it's amazing how it happens, and it does happen.

yes, to the days being long. especially at first. especially as your body and all else adjusts to the new-found time; days that are no longer punctuated by drinks.

congrats congrats on getting through the anxiety without a drink. i found when i first got sober, i had no idea how the hell to experience anxiety or any feelings at all. that pull to drink or find any kind of "fix" was strong in me.

perhaps, for now, it's a nice thing that your wife hasn't asked you to make her a drink? once you've collected some time, you two could talk about her drinking around you and you can figure out together what works and doesn't work for you both.

it's okay to need some time too to adjust.

what you're doing is great. keep going.

and thanks for posting!

warmth,

lee
Old 07-23-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3 days today and more than half a week tomorrow!
Well done on ignoring that pull and recognising it quick smart. I would guess any anxiety associated with withdrawal should clear pretty soon.
Maybe your wife has intuited you want to give up and is not drinking to support you(?) Have you spoken about it? Don't know, I'm just taking a few punts in the dark :-) Remember the old adage though (actually I can't, so I'm going to paraphrase), 'it's their choice'....even if you do fix it for them.
You are doing great!
Old 07-23-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober a day at a time and the days will turn into weeks and then months.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months....

I agree that when you take drinking out of the mix as your night time recreation (it certainly was for me), the days get longer.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
3 days today and more than half a week tomorrow!
Well done on ignoring that pull and recognising it quick smart. I would guess any anxiety associated with withdrawal should clear pretty soon.
Maybe your wife has intuited you want to give up and is not drinking to support you(?) Have you spoken about it? Don't know, I'm just taking a few punts in the dark :-) Remember the old adage though (actually I can't, so I'm going to paraphrase), 'it's their choice'....even if you do fix it for them.
You are doing great!
Yes, I think you may be right about my wife possibly intuiting (if that's a word ).

Even more than the days-sober metric, I'm really interested in how all of this impacts my digestive tract and health issues. It's the BIG positive in the future that I'm expectantly waiting for...and really hoping happens
Old 07-23-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Yea Congrats 4 days ! Yes that little tricky Voice will fade as the days go by Glad your wife isn't asking for that nightly drink too . Good work keep going
Old 07-23-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would put money on it improving things greatly (metaphorically speaking). I get a really positive vibe from this....I think good things await :-D
Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're doing a great job! Keep it up!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like your wife could be supporting you, hoping you would make this decision.

The first couple of days seemed endless to me. It will get better.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning and congrats
Perhaps you are the pied piper of sobriety and your wife your first follower...
Glad you are doing so well. Encouraging post.
Jonathan
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Ron
Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like your wife is being supportive! I think she'd rather see you succeed than have a drink. So I wouldn't feel bad about that.

The days do seem longer. To me as well. When you drink, you're not as in touch with reality as you usually are and it makes it so less time seems to have passed.

Congrats on day 3. You will get your day 4 tomorrow.

And the anxiety is normal. You're in withdrawal and that is one of the classic symptoms. It will pass.

Keep going!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic John!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess you were right :)

My wife just said, "I really want a drink right now, but you aren't drinking, are you?"

Ha!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RonMedford View Post
My wife just said, "I really want a drink right now, but you aren't drinking, are you?"

Ha!
That's so nice of her! Start planning a nice surprise for her as a thank you.