Notices

Reflections

Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Watching my mother deteriorate and eventually die brought me to the bottle as well, day 7 and i feel good! 1.5 years, congrats!!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post

Knowing that there are people like you on the planet makes life worth living.
This. A million bazillion times over.

This.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Just so thankful for sobriety. The last 1.5 years of my life have bad beyond anything I could have ever dreamed of in my worst nightmare.

Through it all I never lost sight of how thankful I am to be sober and how great full I am for all of the wonderful people who were there for me.

My days are looking brighter even though I will never be the same. Unfortunately death is part of life and that reality can not be changed.

The grief still comes in waves just not so often and for the first time in a long time I can embrace the sober life I have been granted.

To all who are struggling there is hope if you never give up and rely on those who are willing to help.

Today is not perfect but it is a good day.
Congrats on 1.5 years and counting of a new beginning
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I can't even imagine your pain, MIR.

Knowing that there are people like you on the planet makes life worth living.
Thanks but somehow I do not see myself in those terms. I'm just a garden variety drunk who made it through some tough times sober. Really what choice did I have?

Go back to the pain and suffering of active alcoholism + my daughters death or just my daughter's death. My choice would be none of the above but if I have to choose one I'll take sobriety which is certainly the lesser of two evils.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MIR.... You've been around here since the beginning of my recovery and my time here... Your story broke my heart as I watched you go through it....

At the same time, the way you dealt with it and remained sober was a huge impact to me.

You've inspired and strengthened me.

I'm still so sorry for your loss.... I can only imagine the sorrow...

I'm grateful for your presence and the openness with which you shared along the way. Surely it helped you to do so... Just know that it also helped me and I'm sure many others.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Tomorrow will be hard. It will be one year. One foot in front of the other some days is the best I can do
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

MIR,

Please know that as this painful anniversary approaches, the SR family will be keeping you extra close in thoughts and prayers.

Your daughter's illness was diagnosed not too long after I joined SR. I consider you a leader both in the support and counsel you offer here as well as the example you set for everyone in remaining steadfast in your sobriety during the terrible blow struck by your daughter's cancer and death.

It's an honor to walk on this path alongside you.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can't even begin to imagine the pain you've endured through this entire process. The fact that you've remained sober is a testament to your character. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 1.5 years MIR

I lost my mum 5 years ago and although its not the same a loss is a loss & i feel for you MIR my thoughts & prayers are with you
Old 07-23-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So much respect for you MIR. Prayers for you to be comforted on the anniversary.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dear MIR,

I have never been a parent, but believe regardless that losing a child may be a kind of loss that no one who has not experienced it can ever imagine. I respect and admire you as ever for the way you had gone through her last few months and this grief now.

I lost my beloved father ~2 weeks ago. It wasn't anything sudden but a long (years) gradual process in which I was involved as much as, I believe, I could be given my capabilities at the different phases of it. While experiencing it from this side is of course very different from your experience, one thing that is true for both of us I think is the sober presence... something I am confident was sensed by your daughter (and my father) during their last phases on Earth.

I don't know what else to say to you right now except sending a hug and my deepest sympathy on the anniversary
Old 07-23-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Thanks but somehow I do not see myself in those terms. I'm just a garden variety drunk who made it through some tough times sober. Really what choice did I have?

Go back to the pain and suffering of active alcoholism + my daughters death or just my daughter's death. My choice would be none of the above but if I have to choose one I'll take sobriety which is certainly the lesser of two evils.
Indeed.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I know it's going to be a difficult day, but I know your daughter would proud of you, MIR.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thinking of you today Mir