Notices

Physically weak (Day 10)

Old 07-19-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physically weak (Day 10)

After weeks of malnutrition and then ending up with alcoholic acidosis (and being hospitalized), I am back at home. Well, I have been back for a week now. In the hospital, I still could not walk and was a falling risk. Toward the end I could walk fine with my IV pole and I left the hospital stumbled and weaving a little, almost as if I were drunk.

Well, it's been one week at home, and I still feel physically uncoordinated at times. I can now walk briskly and with no problems, but I find myself having to use both arms to hoist myself up if I'm on my knees cleaning, or even in the bath, I have to grab onto the handle with both hands to get myself up.

I'm not overweight. This reminds me of how things were at the end of pregnancy. today, I was going down the stairs and I fell because I had something very large in my hand.

I don't know what's happening. Is this still withdrawal? Problems because I was malnourished? Just old age (I'm under 40). It's frustrating and I wonder if it will get better with time.

anyone have anything similar happen?

I've seen people in their 50s and 60s in better shape in terms of coordination and hoisting themselves up.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi notgonnastoptry

I remember two of my friends were in hospital with malnutrition disorders - they were both very weak for a considerable period of time.

take it easy on yourself

D
Old 07-20-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Obviously I can't give medical advice but it sounds like you're perhaps just being impatient. Give how long you hospitalized and how week you were it will take some time to get your strength back. Are you eating right? Getting enough rest? If not then you have to be sure to take care of yourself. If you're worried then maybe a call to the doctor?

Wishing you well, notgonnastoptry! Try to hang in there. You've been through quite an ordeal and some trying times. I expect you'll get your strength back but it will take some time.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long were you in the hospital? I think it may take a bit of time for you to feel better. When released it's usually recommended to follow up with your doctor. You haven't mentioned a follow up so perhaps you might do that. Voice your concerns about your progress. Get a referral to a dietician to work on putting together a healthy plan for eating.

Healing takes time. Be good to yourself and don't push too hard.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there!! The body is a great healer, it may just need some time!!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would also think that your body needs significant time to recover from the extremes you put it through while drinking. Have you had a follow up visit with the doctor since you left the hospital by chance? It probably wouldn't hurt to call and just check to make sure everything is ok.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 10
Old 07-20-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee. I know a little bit about the body and nutrition and you are in a delicate condition. And may be for some time. Be kind to yourself to rest and heal.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I have blood work next week. When I released, all was in order, so I think I'll be on the up and up because I haven't taken a sip. I'm not tempted but I won't be a fool and put a full stop, so I'll say, I'm not tempted YET. I'm trying to attain tools so I won't be tempted ever again.

I was in the hospital for six days. 2 of those were in ICU. As I said, I couldn't walk on my own until the very end. Things are getting better daily.

In another thread, I mentioned that my therapist, as Scott mentioned, said the body will heal, but I have to be patient. I was malnourished and it's only now that it's beginning to absorb the nutrients and send them to the right places.

I have been working out but not pushing myself. The other night, I rode my bike because I missed the fitness center hours and that was weird. People in cars were kindly smiling since I looked like I had just learned to ride. I was swaying back and forth. I finally decided to ride on the sidewalk in case I fell. I did not.

I can't believe I put my body through this and almost died doing it. Thanks for all the support.
I also got a multi-vitamin at the doctor's request. The research goes back and forth on this. Are they any good?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gosh, I don't want to sound negative, but just because you can ride a bike, doesn't mean you should be doing it. Your body is like a sponge and your sponge was completely dry when you went into the hospital, so you need time to absorb the nutrition you are putting in. Exercising will deplete that nutrition because you are exerting energy. As hard as it may be, you probably would be better off being very kind to yourself and doing very little except resting and eating. Think about it, 6 days in the hospital, 2 in ICU. They don't do that unless you were in a serious condition. Take it easy notgonnastoptry. Wishing you the best.