Notices

N/A beer?

Old 07-19-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

N/A beer?

Has anyone drank this while sober? Is it counter-productive because it makes you want to drink real beer or does it help? I know there is a bit of alcohol in some so I figure everyone prob avoids that as well but was just curious.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This comes up so often I saved my reply HopePeace
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other yummy things to drink,?
D
Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I kinda figured that would be the advice. Was thinking I could have some in the house or if I end up somewhere it's served to sip on something. Last time I stopped drinking I was getting different juices to drink.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wine drinker but have no interest in NA wine. I didn't drink for the taste, I drank to get drunk, so the fake stuff holds no interest for me.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't even know there was N/A wine. Which would be more up my ally than the beer. I think it would help to have something to sip when around other people drinking.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Ops be careful you maybe setting yourself up to fail . To me it's like if it tastes like beer - smells - or looks , than your mind may say Hmm maybe I can just try 1 beer . Not a good choice - I would stick to the juice .
Old 07-19-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said there's a million yummy drinks to sip that won't remind you of your old tipple.

D
Old 07-20-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I air on the side of why limit ourselves back to beer, why not go out and open those flood gates of all the great flavours of juices, teas, sodas that exist in the world!!

Time to experiment and enjoy ourselves with a great flavoured alternative?!!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

While none have popped up in here yet, there are a few folks here who drink NA beer. Personally, it holds absolutely no appeal. A glass of soda water with some lime or a splash of cranberry is my go-to drink in social situations where others are drinking.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried NA beer once or twice and didn't like it. But that was when I was still drinking and trying to moderate.

As Dee said, there are a ton of things to drink besides NA beer or wine if you want to sip something. I'm happy enough with my diet Coke
Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wonder how many poeple that have absolutly no problem with alcohol ask of NA drinks would be ok.

For the way I drank, it would be walking smack into temptation. I know for certain it would not take long and I would be drinking the real thing, be worse off than when I stopped drinking ,and I don't know if I have another recovery in me.

Life's too good to be playing Russian roulette.

I think you might want to ask yourself if it would be wise. Play the tale through.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's just too reminiscent of my old behaviours. I'll stick to soft drinks. They taste nicer!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

For me, drinking N/A beer would be like shooting up saline. I drank for effect. I don't know if it would trigger the compulsion, but it would probably tell me I'm not past the obsession. My 2 cents.

-allan
Old 07-20-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been drinking a NA beer here and there. We keep some in the fridge for pool days. It has not been a trigger for me, and I enjoy it while floating in the pool. A lot of the time I will only have a couple sips and finish about half the bottle. It is weird to drink it and not get buzzed. But I feel that if it is not triggering me - then I should be alright. I was not a big beer drinker though in the first place. I liked vodka and red wine. I prob have 3 NA beers per month.

I have made a commitment to myself and my family that I don't drink alcohol. So as long as I know I have that commitment, I am not worried that it will make me fly off the handle and run to the nearest liquor store. Actually it is the opposite. If I order one in a situation where everyone is drinking, it very much helps calm my AV and helps me feel "included".