Notices

Day 44

Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 44

Hi. Today I woke up to day 44 of sobriety. Prior to total sobriety, I weaned myself off by drinking a total of 8 beers the previous 30-day (Spaced out, not all at once). I'm a 39 y/o male that has drank 15-25 units a week for the past 5 years. Prior to that it was weekend binge drinking with friends. I really thought this would be easier, but I'm really struggling with anxiety and insomnia. I can barely string together 5-hours of rest and last night was the second time in a week I was up and down about every hour. I tried benedryl in a last ditch effort and that just made me really groggy this morning. I'm trying to get on a regular schedule, work out (although hard with lack of sleep), and eat right. Oh and did I mention I seem to have every contagious disease known to the free world? Is this stuff normal after 44-days? I really didn't have any bad withdrawal symptoms, but my head seems to be way out of whack I could use some advice from what seems to be a very supportive group.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome and a huge congratulations on 44 days. The insomnia is pretty normal but it will pass once your body gets used to being sober. As hard as it is I would really suggest some exercise- not only to help your body hear but also to add to your daily fatigue and maybe make it easier to sleep at night. There are also a lot of teas available to help with sleep. One of my favorites is called "Tension Tamer" by Celestial Seasonings. It is available in the US.
Best of luck to you. Don't let this passing phase keep you from your ultimate goal of sobriety.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rufftime it takes time for our bodies to recover

The good news is by staying sober your health will continue to improve

Nice to meet you bud
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback. I will do better on the exercise. I suppose even walking briskly would be something to get the ball rolling. I will give the tea a shot too. Many thanks!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Rufftime!

I'd really recommend joining the June 2015 group (did you stop drinking in June?). I find endless support from my April group and it helps to be in a group with other people who are going through the same **** as you at the same time. My monthly group is definitely my first line of defence when things get tough.

Exercise is a good idea (works for me). Insomnia is normal. My sleep patterns are still a bit hit and miss after 12 weeks but improving.

Well done on the first 6 weeks! It gets better!!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you amp 123! May 29th was my last drink so hopefully the group will still have me! Kind regards!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sure they will! Feel free to visit us in April any time too. I'm sure that if you read through the past posts of the monthly groups you will recognise yourself in many of them! It helps to know you're not alone

All the best!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Contagious diseases? Are any of them treatable? I'm not asking you to answer me, but I'd start looking into that. It can't help.

A month and a half of sobriety! Excellent. My sleep and anxiety didn't settle down for a few months. Give it time.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 44 is fantastic!!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks biminiblue. The diseases are in my head. Every little pain or twinge has me jumping into panic mode. Nothing diagnosed:-)
Old 07-12-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It needs some more time but from what I've read, your sleep will get back to normal.

I'm on day 12 and have been sleeping well. One of the reasons, I think, is that I'm very active during the day. Mainly walking at a steady pace, enjoying life. And also eating the right things, no caffeine, enough water and no more food at least 2 hours before I go to bed. If you go to bed with a relatively empty stomach, you tend to sleep better because your body doesn't need to work to digest. And no more tv, internet, smartphone, etc. at least one hour before going to bed. Just peace and quiet at home until the sleepiness kicks in and I can go straight to bed (I brush my teeth and wash myself right after I turn everything off so I can go to bed without having to do anything anymore).

And you'll need to have patience. But you can re-learn to sleep well.