Notices

I am ill

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am ill

OK people i am about to put two hands in the air i drink too much i eat too much and i am type 2 diabetic. I am at a loss and a total loss to my family. Yes people may say why cant you just stop but it doesnt work that way. I need to take a day at a time but how do i start?? Can anyone help me please??
Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

In the UK I would suggest calling the Samaritans hotline. They can direct you to the resources you will need to make change in your life. Rehab may be necessary if you are not able to make change on your own, if so allow others to help you get started.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

well lucky for you I htink if you quit drinking and diet and exercise you can bring that diabetes in check.

I guess you gotta start one minute at a time or so. I'm not sure i'm going to tell you to quit drinking, fix your diet and exercise all at the same time. that could be a lot to do at once.

Me I quit drinking first 6 months later I still felt like garbage so i started to diet and exercise and i quit smoking. I went from 275lbs down to 140lbs from Feb to October that year. So it is possible.

But every day I had to work at it again. I had to build the routine of not drinking not smoking the habits of exercise and eating healthy etc.. When i didnt wanna do it i had to do it anyhow just to keep the habigs established. I'd say it takes 6 months to establish any habit liek when did i start to like exercising? 6 months in or so when did not drinking seem to be an established norm? 6 months in or so when was I content with my new eating routine and ok with it? 6 months in or so.

But gotta put one foot in front of the other. Quiting drinking hands down was the one thing that put the rest into motion for me. It was liek a domino effect of good things started to come about once i quit drinking. So I'd recomend you start there and see where it takes you.

You can PM me if you want tips or advice or something I love talking about this sorta stuff lol.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Tizzkins its accepting everything you said & following through you can spk to a gp or go to your local nhs hospital & say you are going through alcoholic WD and they will help

I also suggest getting a plan of recovery written up inc meetings with either AA or Smart

Maybe start journalling everything right now get it on the page date it make today that day 1

It doesnt have to be like this i got sober & it not only saved my life it brought me so many things

Thinking of you good luck
Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
OK people i am about to put two hands in the air i drink too much i eat too much and i am type 2 diabetic. I am at a loss and a total loss to my family. Yes people may say why cant you just stop but it doesnt work that way. I need to take a day at a time but how do i start?? Can anyone help me please??
Hi Tizzkins, you asked how you start. Well, you start like everyone in sobriety started, by taking that first step. For some its as simple as pouring out the alcohol, telling themselves no more drinking. For others its a trip to the emergency room/detox and then transferred to a long term rehabilitation facility....and for everyone else, its somewhere in-between those two extremes. If I remember correctly, you have been struggling for a while. Maybe some professional help is in order?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you're a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Try to accept that you can get through this and you will likely be able to improve your weight and your type 2 diabetes over time.

Do you have a plan to stop drinking? It might be a good idea to come up with something that will work for you.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
Can anyone help me please??
When someone is drowning and you throw them a life ring, they need to take it. Action is required of the person needing help. When you post here and ask for help, you get a lot of replies--call them life rings--AA, rehab, doctor, professional help, etc. You aren't grabbing the life ring, Tiz.

You have a role in helping yourself.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great suggestions here.

Maybe it's time to stop trying to do this yourself and call in some reinforcements Tiz?

D
Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first day is the big hurdle for everybody. Come up with a plan to have a first day, and how you're going to get through that first day, and then execute that plan for that first day. Whether that involves shutting yourself at home with crates of Chips Ahoy and a Netflix subscription or attending four AA meetings in different parts of your city, or sitting on SR with a Costco-sized bucket of salsa and three bags of corn chips, CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH, hey whatever works -- just make it through that day without drinking.

You get that part down and you get experience, you get confidence, and you set a precedent.

You get that down and it's time to talk about day two, and week one, and 28-days-in-the-books! and "omg I've been sober a year!" but that's all mind-boggling stuff, better to just shoot for day one in the beginning. At least that is my take, certainly some may disagree.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have come to the right place Tizzkins. I would start with calling Alcoholics Anonymous. They are very helpful and will guide you in the right direction. The number is free from a fixed line. (UK ) 0800 9177 650. It's a good place to start, even if it is just for suggestions and someone to talk to.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep it simple, for me making it to bedtime was the goal for a longtime, though I couldn't do it on my own, I needed daily support, a change of my routines/habits and an acceptance that alcohol simply wasn't working in my life anymore!!

You can do this Tizzkins!!
Old 07-03-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I echo Carl's response. I've offered guidance in your numerous posts that posed the exact same question. You did not respond to any of the good folks offering suggestions. What can YOU do different this time???
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please review your past posts and try to find a pattern. We are here to help, but the initial work needs to come from you.