Notices

Is AA necessary?

Old 06-15-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is AA necessary?

I have decided to stop drinking again ... But I really don't want to go to AA. I live in a very small town and really just want to stop anonomously. I know people in those meetings so I know eventually people would find out.

I have used SR in the past and found it very helpful for me as long as I keep coming. Anyone just use SR and not go to AA? Or do most people feel AA is important
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of members use AA, or AA and SR.

There are other programmes too that people use alone or in conjunction with SR
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I've just used SR.
Others have used other recovery programmes aside from SR.

I think the most important part is a commitment to not drinking - whatever you use to help you maintain that commitment is up to you

What's your recovery plan like, lovingliving?

D
Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've quit many times but never stayed quit. I'm dedicated to quitting. I just don't like it anymore and have no room for booze in my life. I don't have a plan really. Just gonna take it day to day, get more excersise
Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are many plans that work, Dee listed several. AA isn't for everyone, but not going because you live in a small town is not a very valid reason for not at least trying it. Most likely many know you are an alcoholic anyway, I'd much rather be known as a recovering alcoholic than a practicing one :-)
Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i only use sr. I also live in small town and I need anonymity due to my job. SR alone has totally worked for me. I was on it many times per day in the beginning and 16 months later I still check in a couple of times per day. I feel tremendous support if I need it and I am reminded daily why I need to stay sober.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe that your motivation is more important than the method you use to stop drinking.

I have used SR for years, along with a lot of good books to help me along.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

I think the point of a plan is something to rely on -- someone to reach out to especially, but also somewhere to go, some source of ideas for how to cope -- when your resolution to quit starts to falter. As it does for all of us. Then you need a plan.

For me, AA was a good starter program, it helped me through the first stretch. I still use a lot of techniques I learned in AA. If I hadn't had a formal program like that with people who knew a lot of sobriety techniques, there were many days when I'm not sure I would have stayed sober.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Until I did AA I couldn't stay sober. I tried a lot of methods and spent a lot of money but AA was what I needed.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got and stayed sober with the help of my counselor and daily visits to this site. Now that I no longer see the counselor, my only support is SR. And it's working for me.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA is a good fit for a small percentage of folks that quit drinking. The majority find another way and so can you.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please Read! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
lets stick to our own experience folks.

Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovingliving View Post
I have decided to stop drinking again ... But I really don't want to go to AA. I live in a very small town and really just want to stop anonomously. I know people in those meetings so I know eventually people would find out.

I have used SR in the past and found it very helpful for me as long as I keep coming. Anyone just use SR and not go to AA? Or do most people feel AA is important
SR is a great first step. I'd suggest the June Newcomers Class. We are all in the first month and you get a sense of community. From there you can decide if AA or another in person meeting is for you.

I've found SR plus therapy is all I need.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not going to AA myself. but I'm glad for it as it has helped so many and continues to do so. I'm using SR solely and it has done so much for me.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't choose to go the AA route. I did a lot of reading of books and this website. Eventually I settled on AVRT as the best fit for me. Everyone is different though and the good news is that there are recovery programs for pretty much everyone. I would recommend having an open mind and doing a lot of reading in the beginning.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand your reticence to go to AA in a small town. I'm not a fan for other reasons.

I use SR and have some medical help as well.

You could ask your doctor or a drug and alcohol counselling service if they have some suggestions.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the most important part is a commitment to not drinking - whatever you use to help you maintain that commitment is up to you D
I agree with Dee! There is a lady in AA with 38 years of sobriety that told me not to expect AA meetings to keep me sober. She said it's up to ME to stay sober and just use AA as support & work the steps. I found that interesting.

I think a lot of people go to AA expecting AA to keep them sober. I'll admit, I have been one of those people in the last. The only thing that keeps us sober is us not drinking. It has taken a long time for me to realize that. :-/ The rest is just support...which is very helpful.

:-)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I only use SR for support.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
totfit

The only thing necessary for me was/is to understand that there will never be any positive outcome in drinking. It is just not for my body. I fully accepted that I was just no wired the same as those that can drink successfully. I have done AA in the past and had success, but for the past few years I have been without. My philosophy is different. It helps to compare notes with others similar and that is why I am here. AA is not necessary, but very helpful for some. It was helpful for me until it was not.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA and the 12 steps is one of the best tools you could dream of. However it is not the only way to stay sober. Its the way i choose though.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I believe that there are online AA meetings if you wanted to draw on it as a resource without going to meetings.

I read some really good books that helped me as well. (Living Sober and Monkey on my Shoulder in particular).

This site is also an amazing resource.