Notices

2 weeks dry

Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks dry

It's been 2 weeks without alcohol and physically I feel pretty good. I even got out for a run today.

Oddly, though my body feels well without the constant hangover, I get very sleepy. also strangely enough, I'm not craving alchohol...does this mean I was never an addict? I mean, when I quit, it was an effort and it was a longtime coming. I felt it was needed after at least 15 years of what I considered alcohol abuse. and when I say alcohol abuse, I mean drinking everyday to the point of feeling some level of drunkenness and blacking out at least every day of the weekend. suffering days lost in bed, not operating to my capacity at work. I felt I qualified as an addict...but now that I'm off it, I really don't have strong urges to go back...at least for now....

what I do feel is a bit of sadness, emptiness and anxiety...which is why I drank in the first place I think. I don't know what to do with these emotions now that I can't drink them away. they are so palpable and consuming.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by tranquilseeker View Post
what I do feel is a bit of sadness, emptiness and anxiety...which is why I drank in the first place I think. I don't know what to do with these emotions now that I can't drink them away. they are so palpable and consuming.
Congratulations on 2 weeks sober. And, yes, it's normal to begin to feel the emotions that you've been drinking away. This is the hard part of recovery. Stopping drinking is the first step, but the hard work starts now. You can begin to learn ways to deal with those negative emotions.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 2 weeks sober bud
Old 06-14-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Two weeks is awesome, congratulations!

That said, two weeks is still very early in sobriety. I don't think I felt my first "real" craving until about a month and a half in. Don't let the AV trick you into drinking again before you've given sobriety an honest go.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

2 Weeks is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Con grats on 2 weeks !

DD
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on two weeks!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober! It's normal to feel a bit off for a while in early recovery. Give yourself more sober time to get back to normal functioning.

It will get better.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats 2 week twin! I am right there with you on day 14. Have you had a shorter fuse as well? Definitely have experienced the waves of melancholy and anxiety as well. How are you feeling physically?
Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go on 2 weeks

strangely enough, I'm not craving alchohol...does this mean I was never an addict?
I speak a lot about not confusing abstinence for control.

I haven;t taken a drop in 8 years, I never get cravings now - but I know if I took a drink today I'd very quickly be back at square one.

I once took 2 months off the booze...decided to have 'a night off' and drink...I didn't stop again until 2 and a half years later.

I know ppl here who've drunk again after 5 years, 7 years, 10 years and ended up the same as they used to be or worse.

I'm glad you've had no cravings - thats great but - and sorry for the bluntness- the likelihood of you never having cravings again is only slightly better than you being 'cured', I'm afraid.

Addiction is a condition that tries very hard to convince us we don't have it.

D
Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome job on 2 weeks