Notices

Almost made a week

Old 06-11-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost made a week

Feeling a little defeated at the moment. I went into a detox unit for 4 days on the 3rd of June as a kick start to a sober life. It went well, if i can enter a detox unit, anyone can. I left the detox unit feeling on top of the world both physically and mentally, wow what a change not putting this poison in your body makes.

On the day i left detox me and my parents welcomed an 8 week old Labrador pup. My first night out of detox didn't drink, no problems but i have taken on quite a responsibility in looking after the dog. My main focus should of been on my recovery in the early days but the burden of looking after a puppy whilst i can barely take care of myself, has probably backfired and i have relapsed.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Almost everyone does it (relapse) you have some sober time, that's better than none, just climb back on the wagon with your plan in hand..
Old 06-11-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reply Dan, i'm just thinking taking on a chunk of responsibility of a 8/9 week old puppy might of been a huge mistake so early on in trying to get sober. I mean my first night out of the unit i spent 11pm-7am with the pup for it's 1st night. Really i need to be getting to meetings, exercising, eating well staying away from triggers.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

This disease is a tough SOB to try to get a handle on. It wants us to continue using it which will totally destroy us mentally and emotionally which so few of us come prepared for. It’s called powerful, baffling, cunning and insidious for good reason.

We need to be honest with ourself about our drinking and accept the fact we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Please don’t take relapses lightly as they are the most difficult things to overcome to gain sobriety in the long haul.

The old timers taught us that our sobriety is the most important thing we have and it comes first, above all other wants and needs because without it we will lose those needs/wants entirely besides having a miserable life.

BE WELL
Old 06-11-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is really great that you came back.. You did so well for a week.. If you could do it then, you can do it again.. I am in the same boat as you are.. Went Cold turkey on 4th June with help of Doc and Therapist.. Did outpatient detox... I found the therapy session very useful.. My therapist clearly advised me to keep away from too much taxing activities, take full rest and take it easy during early days.. I am just doing that.. We need to give some time to our body and brain to heal.. Off course, that does not mean, I need to just be in bed. I am going to job. Most of these initial days, I go to bed early.. In fact, resting in bed , has started to feel soothing... Keep at it... We both will keep at it.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I must be missing some part of the story. How does having a puppy make you drink? How does drinking make you a more responsible pet owner than eating well, exercising, and getting to meetings?
Old 06-11-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you give the dog to your parents or someone else?

If you're drinking. chances are you're not really doing the best by the dog either.

D
Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I'm a dog lover so ........ puppies get easier to care for, and for me anyway my dog is a massive bonus in my life and helps me to stay sober, nothing like a long dog walk to beat a craving or a bad mood.
My dog also loves me no matter what, sober, drinking, craving, being a cow, she's still there waging her little tail for me. Maybe your new dog will become some of this for you and be a positive in your life? Get some help with the early training and then watch the relationship between the two of you develop into something really magic.......... all the better to see it through sober eyes.
I wish you well (just hope for you that your future includes your new dog).
Good luck xx
Old 06-11-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said Harry