Notices

I saw a camel...

Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I saw a camel...

And I took a picture of it just for you folks. And you may see it someday. But not today.
so it's hump day again. For me it's humpday because I'm all alone in a place nobody speaks my language. And the peopl I know are gone for the day. Last time I was here I waas downing tall cans most of the day.
I stopped d a picked up an ice cream cone for less than a buck. Best value here I think. I need to make it through the day and try to fix a couple doors-no home depot and I need things.. But mostly it's going to be a day filled with boredom. I must find a few things to keep me busy and hope the price of chicken isn't really 35 bucks. The package listed 1,763p - roubles.

This is the first time I've been completely isolated since I gotta sober.
the beer store is just downstairs. But they also sell ice cream.
I have to learn how to occupy myself in a foreign land to get me through this hump day.

How do you handle boredom?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you take a long walk someplace?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Crosswords, but then they become an obsession and take up my whole day so the answer is: Not very well. There is always something to clean here so I'm fortunate to have 3 girls who ...help me with that.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, happy hump day, man.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There must be at least 100 things you could do without going downstairs for that beer shop LB. Why not go for a walk, take a look around?

D
Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe in you
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What Della said! It's just exercising some sober muscles. You will make it and be stronger.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your post brought this quote to mind with the help of Mr Google:

The true test of a mans character is what he does when no one is watching - John Wooden

I have my greatest struggle with those secretive behaviors I engage in when no one is watching. The only way I can shut down the siren call of my AV is to get totally engaged in something, preferably something that challenges my brain.

You've faced many challenges and come up the winner. You can get over this hump, too.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, Google in sumptin' like <Hot Russian Single Women>. In your honor, I did so yesterday. If those Search Results don't distract you from Drinkin', check in with your local Undertaker.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy hump day Brain! You can get through this. Any museums to visit? When I'm extremely bored during the day and can't go anywhere I start reading history online. Following one link to the next. You're in a great place to look at history. Crossword puzzles. Taking a walk.

Anything but drinking. Find peace in the break from your daily routine. You are a man of action and I've read all those things you do at home but can't now because you're in a different place. View it as a test. You can get through it.

I'm contemplating a busy day on too little sleep. It isn't an inviting thought. But I'll get through it. Speaking of which, I must get started.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Museum sounds like a perfect idea, Brain.

A walk to discover a new neighborhood. Reading a book.

Thanks for the humpday thread!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hey LBrain I believe in you too. You'll get through this circumstantial boredom. I know for me, what always got my juices going and got me stoked up for shaking off boredom was to get myself into a personal space of gratitude for staying sober, and all the goodness that comes with being sober. Nothing like real feelings of deep gratitude to wash away feelings of dismay and boredom. You got plenty to be grateful for right?

Be easy on yourself, friend. Everything you need is already inside you, and always will be. Enjoy being you, and you'll soon enough not be bored I'm sure.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Where does the idea that seeking relief from boredom(?) is in any way associated with alcohol, come from ? My answer would be total beast talk. Sure alcohol exists in the world, but what of it? For me that would be a crazy not so temporary fix to a very temporary problem. Crazier even than wandering around as a stranger in a strange land and just looking around .
If you where home and you stumbled upon some random bored russian guy what would you do? Maybe there is a russian Lbrain in the neighborhood, sounds a little nuts, but better than any tall alternative some whackjob keeps trying to bring to the fore.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Hump Day, LBrain. As RobbyRobot said, appreciate this sober day; embrace it. You will be fine.

Have a great Hump Day.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Went for a walk. Sat on a park bench and people watched while I smoke a cigar someone gave me. Thunderstorm was in the air but just a few sprinkles.
stopped at store for a few things ... chicken soup going... power went out here so going for walk was a win. It's very easy to get lost here. I could only find my way for a mile or so. Tall colorful apartment. Uildings are my guide.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am very far from picking up a drink.
watching life happen and contemplating future. Thes is an awful lot of wood for reclaiming here. Construction everywhere. Place has changed much in 5 years.
The baby stroller market is huge. Can't walk down the street without seeing a dozen.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I keep forgetting I'm 8 hours ahead of my normal.
battery critically low. Again. Have a great day y, all
Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wood and baby strollers. There's a joke there, somewhere.

I thought you quit smoking?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy hump day everyone

My boring answer is that I read a book. Plus I should point out that I am from England so I am used to being bored

I did post this track in another thread once but I feel it belongs here, a hump day anthem by the legendary John Shuttleworth
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Hey, Google in sumptin' like <Hot Russian Single Women>. In your honor, I did so yesterday. If those Search Results don't distract you from Drinkin', check in with your local Undertaker.
LB, I'm going with what MM said!

Hope all is well this morning and hang in there. Got to be tough to be in a place where no one speaks your language!

Like other's have said, maybe long walks. Take pics along the way to share with your SR family; I'm always in for a photo journal!

We're here when you need us.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never smoked. Skoal Brother. I did the occasional cigar.
I am so over the dip.

If the wife lands a decent position I won't have to rejoin corporate America so fast.
Making things from "rescue wood" and selling online. Don't anybody steal my selling point. "Rescue Wood" is kinda catchy.

Apple pie thing is in the oven. Mrs getting back early from her day trip south. I did that bus ride one too many times. Think pch on steroids in an old bus - 'I think I can' going up the hills.