Notices

3 days without drink

Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days without drink

now completing 3 days without alcohol successfully.....

my body feels good and this is the best part. however, my head remains foggy, I don't feel particularly uplifted, and I'm so damn irritable! I mean, I have always had little patience, but now it feels like I can't stand anyone! Maybe it's the lack of sleep....since i went off the bottle, I've been experiencing anxiety which keeps me from sleeping.

also, I'm eating like crazy.....my apetite has increased exponentially in the last few days. I just tell myself, food and sugar is way better than alcohol and indulge myself for now. I feel it's a good tradeoff and coping mechanism for now (though I don't want to continue on this path of eating habits).

I have to admit, I'm already having lapses where I tell myself: why am I doing this? I'm preventing myself from having fun...what harm is a few drinks.....but I think this board has helped me to answer those questions readily. It's so not worth it....I'm ready to come back to planet earth and start feeling what it's like to live. thanks for listening.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mood was all over the place for the first few weeks of not drinking. Everything and I mean everything ticked me off. Eventually, my moods evened out but it took a while. As far as the eating goes, I went through the same thing you described. Don't know why, but I was always hungry. That too eventually evened out also. Personally, I wouldn't worry about weight gain in the beginning. I think the mind and body are going through a healing process. I hope you don't get discouraged, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck. John
Old 06-03-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats, it's not easy in the early, but so worth the temporary pain.

I had the short temper as well. Part of that was self hatred, shame, guilt, and some internal combat between my AV and the real me, the sober me.

Just keep trucking, and that little voice inside is not worth listening to.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

3 days is great. All of what you are describing seems pretty common. I'd say its good you have an appetite. Everything will smooth out. Just don't drink. You are healing physically and mentally. That voice in your head telling you to have just a couple is not your friend. You can do this. You are going to start feeling better and better.

Do you have a book store or library near you? Reading helped me a ton to distract my mind from "the thoughts" at night. If your feeling up to it, a nice walk is good. Some deep breaths are good for the anxiety.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds pretty typical for day 3 tranquilseeker...things will get a lot better, trust me

D
Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You will be over the physical withdrawal soon. Then it will start to get better day by day.