Notices

New member, saying hi

Old 08-26-2004, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member, saying hi

Hello, I just found this forum, and I registered because I know I need to sort myself out.

I've probably been an alcoholic for at least 2 years now, and saying that is funny because I never said it before.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm just introducing myself, and now I'm gonna go read some other threads.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Ian

JC here - alcoholic. Welcome.

Good bunch here - I learn something new everyday.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi, nice to meet you Ian,

grab a chair and a coffee

Deg.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Again, just managed to get the work crisis stable! Welcome on board Ian. It was strange to me at first too. It does take a bit of getting used to. The yanks, blessem, are much better at it than us of course! It seems quite different over there to here.
Glad you found SR, when you've had a read around let us know how you're getting on and what your plans are. If there's anything I can do - just shout or email.

Regards,

Deg.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Ian,

Welcome to SR! I see you've found some excellent new friends already. More will be coming by soon. Hope you had a good read around these pages and will post a thread so we can get to know you.
Sandy
Old 08-26-2004, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ian, welcome to soberrecovery. I'm partial to alcohol also, yep an alkie, or whatever you want to call it.

Happy you found us, the gang here is the best, let them guide you, pretty awesome teachers here, but you have to LISTEN, and I mean really LISTEN.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery on this journey to sobriety, it looks pretty wonderful to me.

Hugs....Denise
Old 08-26-2004, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ian.

Glad you found us.You will love it here.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Ian and welcome!
There's a lot of miaracles in progress going on around here, glad you found us!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support.

To be honest, I don't feel that I'm 100% ready for recovery, but I have kind of accepted that I'm an alcoholic. I have said this to myself before, but I've just gone back to my old ways after a few weeks.

My emotion range between glee in the self-destruction, when I'm high, to self-pity when I wake up in the morning, and remember what I did the night before.

I don't know how to get back to normal (even though I've never felt normal as such).
Old 08-26-2004, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Ian, sorry I missed you earlier.
Welcome. Glee in the self destruction...
When I got to that point, it was because I absolutely knew I was sick with addiction, or alcoholism, whichever you prefer. Many nights, I got loaded in the hope I wouldn't wake up. But morning always came.
When you get fed up enough with yourself, you'll act.
Self destructive behavior leads only to one conclusion.
The choice is yours. Take charge.
It's never too late to reclaim your life.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Castaway

It's all true Ian. I was like Dan too. So screwed up in my thinking. (Wait a minute..I didn't mean that as an insult Dan. You know what I mean ) Anyway...All the red flags were slapping me in the face and I was drinking myself unconscious every night trying to ignore them. I had become paranoid and hid from the world. It was a tormented life. I'm so glad you're here searching for some explanations and support. I couldn't be anywhere near 3 weeks sober without these angels that post here practically every day. Everyone moves along at a different pace, so don't worry about where you are...but try to learn something new here every day and keep posting. The answers will come to you at the right time.
Sandy
Old 08-26-2004, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello, Ian. And welcome to SR. I know exactly how you are feeling. I also drank myself to oblivion many times, even though I knew I was an alcoholic. I wasted so much energy fighting my alcoholism, but I don't have to fight anymore. I have surrendered to that fact, and I have found a new peace which I never thought possible.

Keep posting, and hang in there!!!!

Hugs to you--
Old 09-16-2004, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone

I really don't know what I'm doing at the moment, I don't want to drink, but I don't want to not drink, I'm afraid of both situations, it's just drinking makes me forget, if only for a short while.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi again Ian

"Can't live with it, can't live without it"

Yep, I know that feeling all too well. Have you thought about getting some help.? I went for years and years quitting on my own and the only thing that got better was my self delusion that there wasn't a problem - until the next great alcohol induced calamity. Then I would quit for a bit - then I would pick up again.

Now I'm getting help to stay sober - and it is working - I am changing - I'm not perfect - but I certainly am changing. My periods of sobriety are getting longer and my last relapse was very short and sweet - hours - not 14 days on the **** as they used to be. I'm using AA. It's working for me.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Ian,
Today is really my first day here. I registered in June but messed up on the follow through. Nothing has gotten better, so I figured it was time to come back here and see if this will help me turn things around. I am ready to move on, but I am not sure I have the strength. I can only hope and pray.

Talk to you later,
Beth
Old 09-16-2004, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Ian and Beth,
Glad both of you are thinking about your drug use. I'm an alcoholic for over 15 years and it's taken me years of reading, relapsing, praying, and finally feeling like a have a handle on my addiction. There's no magic answer except that you keep searching and trying different strategies. AA is good as well as SMART Recovery, Life Ring Secular, Women for Sobriety and others. There's a Moderation Management website too, but I couldn't follow that one because I'm a true alcoholic and can't even drink one without going down the tubes.
There are probably AA meetings going on in your locale several times a day that would give you some insight. SR has numerous forums and online chats going on everyday.
If you want to stop drinking today, then go for it! Just don't think about tomorrow. Change up your daily habits to where alcohol is out of the picture.
We're here if you need support 24/7. Have a pleasant drug-free day.
Prayers, Sandy
Old 09-16-2004, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Ian,
Welcome to S.R. If you think you have a problem, you probably do!
Give yourself a chance, you deserve it!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ian,

Welcome to SR!! You will find a lot of great things here and great friends. Pull up a chair and join us on the wonderful road of recovery.

Hope
Old 09-16-2004, 10:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Ian & Beth)))

Welcome to SR. You came to a great place for support and understanding. It has helped me tremendously and I'm sure it will help you as well. Good luck...

Talia
Old 09-17-2004, 04:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ian,

I`m new to the neighborhood myself. I`ts nice to have u. You made a very big step- admitting that you have a problem . Thats the first step ! Take it one day @ a time .Hope to hear from u again.