Notices

How has 'sober you' surprised you?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Only on day 9, but I sure do love sleeping well & love waking up without a hangover. I also like not feeling chained to my home at night for drinking. Running errands are so much more relaxed now. I like being out at night, driving around & seeing people living.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What a great post and responses. I am on day 6 and was soooo sick of going to buy my booze at different places. What a stupid win. And they know anyway, the shaking hands and red face and that it's Monday is probably a good clue :-) I am going to tackle the kitchen! Mayg
Old 06-03-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What really surprised me was that I actually enjoy:
-my own company
-sitting still as opposed to running around trying to do as many things as possible
-slow and sometimes uneventful weekends
-listening in a conversation
-early bedtimes
-dancing sober
Old 06-03-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love this thread!

I was really surprised to discover that sober me is a morning person!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great thread! I feel proud and confident of who I am. I want to take care of myself mentally and physically because I feel that I am worth it. For the first time in years I look in the mirror and am happy with what I see.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think most surprising to me at first is that I really am a pretty normal, typical guy, I just don't drink. There's really nothing odd about my not drinking either, no one even notices or cares, which I feared to death while I was trying to continue my drinking.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by SoberFreckles View Post
I kinda love SoberFreckles, and I was just wondering if anyone else had been pleasantly surprised to discover once they got sober that they are not the person they thought they were at all?
I totally love this! You know what surprised me the most this year? I have been able to accept my own response to life. Instead of should haves and supposed tos - I just am who I am and this is good!

Thanks for the thought inspiring Thread.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was pleasantly surprised that around the six month mark, I was physically repulsed (gag almost) by wine when I would walk down that aisle at the grocery store. I'm amazed that any desire to ever drink again has completely disappeared. When I first got sober a few years back, I told myself that I would drink again 20 years from that time when I turned 65 years old. Now, that sounds so ridiculous and illogical. I will never drink again. Zero desire.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My growing sense of self confidence I think powered by the fact that I'm getting to know myself and more importantly backing myself.

I didn't realise I have low self esteem and was/is (av) a people pleaser.

Now I do things because I want to and because I don't do it to get others to think I'm great, I'm not let down when they don't tell me how great I am.

Jeez that's complicated
Old 06-05-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm just has funny, funny, sexy, personable when not drinking!

Alcohol and drugs never really "took the edge off" helped me cope. It was all a facade!!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm still figuring out the sober me but the biggest thing so far is the refreshing feeling of the heavy monkey that has been hanging on my back for years being gone. Mornings have become something I look forward to now as well. Can't remember the last time I have said that...if ever...