Notices

Day 3 - Withdrawal

Old 05-20-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 3 - Withdrawal

Hey guys, first-timer here. I’m currently on day three of alcohol withdrawal. To give some background- I am a 28 year old male who started drinking around 7 years ago. To be honest, I never really admitted to myself that I had a drinking a problem – most of my friends my age drink quite frequently so I thought what I have been doing is normal. Anyways, my drinking got a bit worse over the past year – probably to cope with the stresses of life. In the back of my mind, I have noticed that I was making more frequent trips to the liquor store – several times a week and my tolerance was getting quite high. It would be safe to say that I was a regular nightly drinker.

Well this week, my body absolutely hit a tipping point. Last week, I left for las vegas on a Thursday for a bachelor party. We drank throughout the weekend with very little sleep and spent time in the sun by the pools.

Day 0.
However, come Sunday morning when it was time to stop the drinking – my body hit a wall. This felt similar to an amplified hangover. I did my normal routine of drinking water and loading up on food but did not get much relief. Midway through the afternoon, it was time for my flight home. The flight was absolutely awful with my hands shaking and body tremors and sweats. Even the palms of my hands were clamy and there was a foul smelling sweat that I have never given off in my life. It was a relief to finally land and go home to my bed. I did not sleep well with anxious feelings, bad dreams and night sweats. I felt very dehydrated and no amount of water seemed to help.

Day 1.
I woke up and continued to feel extremely dehydrated, I drank pedalyte and water all day, and rested at home on the couch and tried to force down some food. I went in-and-out of hot and flashes and realized that this was far more than a hangover. I honestly had never even heard of alcohol withdrawal syndrome and did not realize what happening. At night, I got basically no sleep, my body was shaking and I continued to have racing thoughts and couldn’t clear my head. The dehydration was extremely uncomfortable and I feared that I might pass out from lack of water absorption. My mouth was very dry and I felt very anxious. Eventually, my heart rate began racing, it was extremely uncomfortable.

Day 2.
I went to work. That was a mistake. I lasted 8 hours, and felt extremely dehydrated with hot flashes. At the end of the day I left work early and went straight to a medical clinic. I explained that I was extremely dehydrated and they gave me an IV of liquids, took some blood and urine tests and said that everything appeared fairly normal. I left the clinic at around 8PM, they told me if my symptoms continued I would need to go to the emergency room to get checked out. On the night of Day 2, my body really crashed. I spent the night in bed shaking, covered in sweat, with racing thoughts.

My heart was racing so badly that I didn’t know how to cope any longer. When my heart got bad enough, I began packing up an overnight and at around 12AM I went the emergency for help. They were very kind and ran more blood and urine tests and hooked me up to an IV for my feeling of dehydration. At the hospital I continued to shake and have the sweats. The doctor ran a heart monitor test and told me that my symptoms were not directly related to any issue with my heart and more likely anxiety related. She said that my potassium level was low (a symptom of drinking) which causes dehydration feeling and gave me some vitamins. To help me sleep at the hospital she gave me 1MG of the anti-anxiety medicine Lorazepam which helped to calm my heart and stop my body from shaking. I got home around 6 hours later and was able to sleep.

Day 3.
Getting a few hours of rest helped. When I woke up, I realized the extreme feelings of dehydration that I had been having all week had dissipated (the potassium may have helped). I also took to the internet to figure out what was going on with my body and stumbled upon Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome (AWS). On one hand, I am relieved to find the cause of my angst but at the same time I am so disappointed that I let my situation deteriorate so rapidly. I have read through the forums and it seems that many people planned their withdrawal (which I would recommend) but I am in a unique position in that I kind of stopped drinking out of the blue due to circumstance. Has anyone else had this experience?

Anyways, today was not a terrible day, my hot and cold flashes and sweating has decreased (although still present). My mind is still not 100% clear – that is probably the most frustrating aspect along with the extreme anxiousness that I feel. The doctor gave me a few Lorazepam in case I have another panic attack similar to the hospital where my rate becomes elevated. Earlier today around 6PM my heart rate became elevated and I took one pill which calmed me down and I was able to get about 6 hours of sleep. I do not want to use the Lorazepam any more than I actually need because the last thing I need is addiction to anti-anxiety pills but it does seem to help in this scenario when the anxiety gets uncomfortably bad.

Overall, today was on okay day and I really hope that things start to improve tomorrow and the next day. It seems that most people see at least some relief in days 4 to 5? Please feel free to share your thoughts or opinions. Tomorrow I plan to go to a general doctor to discuss AWS, my situation and how to get through this. This forum has been a nice inspiration that there will eventually be end to this horrible experience. I’m going to keep my head up and look forward to living a healthy life without booze when this is all over - I never want to go through anything like this again.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FP8- It is all temporary. The best thing is that you never have to feel this way again. Remember this feeling and know that you don't want to experience it again. Start making a plan... it is worth it.
Much compassion,
Puffy
Old 05-21-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

stick with it FP. Apparently it takes 4-5 days for the alcohol to completely leave your system. So you'll probably start feeling a bit more human from that point on.

Sleep can take a while to settle. But I found that even if I did wake often, I could get back to sleep again which had been impossible when drinking or early withdrawal. But even just being tired is easier than being hungover.

With time definite subtle changes kick in. I've found that the 'mind fog' clears.....I didn't realise how 'fogged' I'd become. Many changes in feeling attitude and outlook to look forward to.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience FP8. I believe most if not all of us went through the same thing when trying to quit. It is a horrible experience YET the reward afterwards is well worth it. Withdrawals can be extremely dangerous and life threatening as I found out personally so consider yourself lucky and I hope you will stick with it, believe me it WILL get better
Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.Glad you are here.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stick with it! It really does get better.
The anxiety in withdrawal has been a huge thing for me and has led me to drink again, but you never need to have another day one again :-)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Fresh, don't ever forget that they tend to get worse as you have experienced. Stay clean and you never have to feel like this again.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad you found us and are feeling better. You absolutely did the right thing by going to the ER. You will start feeling even better over the next few days.

I will say, stick around on SR, especially after you start feeling better. Keep learning.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, FreshPage8. Your withdrawals sound very horrible and also, sadly, very normal. Good news is you don't ever to have to feel that way again. Just don't pick up that first drink.

There is a ton of great support and wisdom to be found on these forums. Hope to see you participating regularly!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I have been too afraid to go to the doctor/hospital for fear of them shaming me. Its nice to know they are usually pretty nice
Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much for the kind comments. I am so glad that I found this site and people who understand what I am going through. Last night I fell asleep around 4AM and remained asleep for many hours - its was very nice. I had a nightmare that I was a house guest at chelsea handler's house for a night - strange.

Anyways I think I feel best, physically today although still extremely weak and fatigued. As canguy stated above, its better to feel tired than hungover. The foul smell of sweat which I assume was toxins leaving my body seems to have started to go away - a sign that I view as a positive development as my body works through the alcohol. The family doctor was not able to fit me in until tomorrow so I will provide and update on what he says then.

Julesonya, yes I shared the same fear about going to the hospital - that they would judge me and show disappointment especially with other sick patients that needed treatment and I am taking up their time. Ultimately, my body (shakes/dehydration/racing heart) got so bad that I felt I did not have a choice. I was extremely worried that I would have a seizure and I die alone in my house and having a cell phone nearby was not enough comfort. Ultimately, it proved to be a very good decision and the doctors were very understand. I would suggest to anyone who is going through the same experience to see a doctor or go to the hospital if things get bad no matter what - your life is too important to gamble with.

Canguy, I did not realize that the alcohol could take 4-5 days to leave the system. This actually makes a lot of sense based on the way my body has been reacting. I am hoping the worst in the past. Today I will go grocery shopping and pick up some health food and beverages.

Do you guys have any vitamins or foods to recommend? Thanks again for the feedback - especially the positive support. It's very comforting.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Regarding the food question, I simply went with what I was craving! It was very important for me in the early days to eat well and I did exactly that
Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Just remember, if you don't drink again, you never have to go thru this mess again.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Fresh,
You should be feeling a lot better in the next few days, just keep hydrated and eat well. Your body will crave certain foods....just listen to it ...this is no time to start a strict diet. Unfortunately I've been through numerous withdrawal/ detox episodes in the last few years so I know how you were feeling...it is NO fun. I've detoxed with and without medical assistance , and I would recommend to anyone thinking about going cold turkey to see a Dr. first. It is much safer and less horrible with anti-anxiety meds which an understanding Dr. can prescribe. The Doc's out there have heard it all before so don't think they will judge you.....they just want to help you. My Dr. is very understanding when it comes to my relapses and helps me get back on my feet. I am in a IOP (intensive out-patient) rehab right now at his urging and feeling very positive. Sorry you had to go through that.....BUT......you don't have to do it again. Find a recovery program that fits you and stick with it....Best Wishes
Old 05-22-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 5

Thank you for all of the kind feedback and responses guys. I'll give a quick recap of the past two days:

Day 4:
Woke up feeling much better, shakes and sweats were gone. Mind still foggy. Muscle fatigue. Feeling of dehydration GONE! I was feeling very positive because the worst physical symptoms went away and decided to go grocery shopping. On the way to the store I passed the barber shop and decided to get a quick haircut - this was a mistake. The barber shop was a trendy spot with loud music playing (like walking into an abercrombie) and everyone was too happy. While in the barber chair, I had my first anxiety attack. My heart was racing, the barber must have seen the vein on my neck pulsating. I went home after the haircut and took a larazoprem which really helped to calm my symptoms. I went on SR and chatted with some really kind people who told me to hold strong for Day 5. I was able to sleep quite well (8 hours).

Day 5.
WOW - what a difference a day makes!! I woke up feeling so positive. The majority of my worst physical symptoms were gone (insomnia, shakes, sweats, dehydration). My remaining physical symptoms are a bit of muscle fatigue and lethargy. My head fog is beginning to clear - which is so important to me - I really need to have a clear mind.

I scheduled a doctors appointment for the early morning. I was a bit nervous about coming clean to the doctor about my alcohol usage. But... GOING TO THE DOCTOR IS A GREAT IDEA - YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GO TO THE DOCTOR. Don't let your personal embarrassment keep you away. It was relieving to explain my personal history openly. Doctors are bound my client - patient confidentiality for adults.

The DR was super supportive and has seen 1000x cases of the same thing. He reviewed my blood and urine work and found no permanent damage and put me on a plan to keep off of booze. To control my anxiety and high blood pressure, he assigned me a very low dosage of clonazepam to take once at night and once in the morning. He will wheen me off of the anti-anxiety medicines if things go well after the first month.

Anyways, I'm operating now (Day 5) at about 80% functionality and I really look forward to the improvements to come. I want to get healthy and exercise and keep off booze. Thanks for all of the support guys. I hope my story helps others out there. The first few days are by FAR the worst but it gets so much better and I hope only improves from here. I will keep you guys posted going forward.

Thanks again
Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day five and on having the courage to go to the doctor and be honest! Very inspiring post. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I second Cases comments viv a viz the doctor.
It's important to overcome any feelings of shame or embarrassment and you did.

Congratulations on 5 days as well
Old 05-22-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats, you're doing great
Old 05-22-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your progress - and welcome aboard freshpage

D
Old 05-22-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The next time you think about drinking, and if you are an alcoholic there will be a next time, come back and read this thread.

We alcoholics tend to have short memories of how bad things can get when we drink.