Notices

Question/concern about AA

Old 05-19-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Seeing that statistically about 10% of the population has an addiction you likely have multiple people that you are FB friends that have a problem already.

I have a weird first name and it simply is a non issue. I would much rather people knew I had a problem and was doing something about it than to know me as a drunk
Old 05-19-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Take a big leap of faith and just go. I guarantee you they're not going to bite. If you can work up the courage, ask someone there about their first meeting and what it was like for them. Get a list of phone numbers you can call if you feel the urge to drink. Strength in numbers.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Like least said, just go. Don't over analyze this.

A lot of good information has been shared, I hope it helps.

And nobody is going to google you. Hell, you will be lucky if they remember you at the next meeting. Alcoholics tend to be pretty self centered people who are usually focused on themselves.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Best advice I received after finally getting to a meeting - don't be afraid to be a beginner, as in, stay open. There were times I was at new meetings and didn't fit in. I stuck it out, and when people shared what was going on, I realized those that I got a bad sense from, typically were REALLY struggling, even if they had alot of 'time sober', they were there and using the meetings to cope. I appreciated that. So, not everyone is going to go out of their way for a newcomer but don't let that stop you. Please try it, even if its not for you in the long run. I also really like the Big Book.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What about a middle name? Either way you will be fine. I honestly love seeing people I know at meetings now. And even better is running into a fellow member outside of the rooms.

As far as being nervous in general remember we are very used to newcomers and we all remember that fear. You will be allowed to be as involved or quiet as you want. No pressure.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am really happy to come here and tell you all that I did go to the meeting. I cannot tell you how nervous I was before, during, and even after. My nervousness about being 'identified' was totally unfounded. You all were so right. I had planned to sit in the most corner spot and just 'pass' when people went around and introduced themselves. But when the time came, I was honest and used my real name, and that was it.

Wow -- I cannot tell you how I feel about the fact that I actually went in. I plan to write more about it all, mostly just as a post for myself, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed and processing.

Thank you all for all the info and encouragement!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

AWESOME.

Way to go, Lola!!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lola23 View Post
By the way, I really like the quote in your signature. Is that from the Big Book.
Hi Lola - congratulations of going along to your first meeting. So glad you enjoyed it. I look forward to reading your extended reflection on it. When's your next one??

PS: No idea where I got the signature from now. I suspect it was on here somewhere as I was on here before I managed to get to AA, and I think I've had the signature from early on, when I suddenly realised that it was down to me to stop digging. I should have noted where it was from, but I still had washing-machine head then so wasn't a particularly clear thinker.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great news Lola! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the meeting.