Notices

not suicidal but sick of panic attacks

Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
The ball's in your court.

W.
Thanx; I'm doing what needs to be done. It's not as cut & dry as calling up AA but I have @ least I hope I have found a clinic I can use as a primary care.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

I'm not sure of the answer, but alcohol for me stopped becoming the answer!!
Alcohol and prescription drugs (which I truly didn't need) were both my downfall.

Interesting
Many prescribed medicines say on the bottle not to be mixed with alcohol. Yet, that's usually the first thing that a drunk or addict will do.

Just goes to prove. We are not good at following rules or taking good care of ourselves when we are out there drinking and using.

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I used to get panic attacks every so often and they are very scary, you think your gonna die. Somewhere, i read that if you are trying to think of seven or more things at a time, it will trigger a panic attack. I know i have to write things down, make a list of all the things that need to get done, but to keep everything in memory just wont work, something will get forgotten and become a problem and or a trigger. (my 2 cents)
Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I used to get panic attacks every so often and they are very scary, you think your gonna die. Somewhere, i read that if you are trying to think of seven or more things at a time, it will trigger a panic attack. I know i have to write things down, make a list of all the things that need to get done, but to keep everything in memory just wont work, something will get forgotten and become a problem and or a trigger. (my 2 cents)
TY TY TY so very much for understanding what its like daily for me. Not sure about what my triggers are as of yet. I've gotten since long before I can remember & turned to self medicating myself @ 13.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

your so very welcome, not to one up you, i started at 12, I'm 57 now. have a good one
Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Thanx; I'm doing what needs to be done. It's not as cut & dry as calling up AA but I have @ least I hope I have found a clinic I can use as a primary care.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Congratulations! Don't be too anxious about seeking help. Some providers may be off putting but others may be very caring. Baltimore is where Edgar Allen Poe was found lying in the street close to death, his clothing in disarray. His last words they say were "Reynolds! Oh Reynolds!" (Reynolds a lecturer who had impressed Poe with a theory that there were "holes at the Poles", where one may enter to find an entire civilization characterized by perfect utopia). Poe's poetry and prose may indicate that he too had panic attacks (e.g. "The Cask of Amontillado", where a man walls his enemy up in the basement with a black cat or "The Pit and the Pendulum").

W.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post

Congratulations! Don't be too anxious about seeking help.

W.
Thanx

I'm very anxious & already been put off the last year an a half here. But I'm trying to push forth ..
Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Thanx

I'm very anxious & already been put off the last year an a half here. But I'm trying to push forth ..
There are at least two ways to relieve your anxieties and panic attacks. One of them, as I said is to get a prescription from a doctor or clinic, but a carefully supervised prescription (so they can monitor you in taking it). The second is to hook up with a group of recovering alcoholics. It need not be AA but, considering the multiplicity of AA groups in a large metropolitan area, that is a real possibility. If you don't like one group, try another. Anyway, it does not have to be AA but a group makes a person less lonely and anxious, is more powerful than a single person. I remember a nice fellow in a rehab saying to me, "Let's do this together!". And we did. I haven't had a drink since and it's been 27 years. Good luck.

W.