Notices

Can't concetrate on work

Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't concetrate on work

I have been making stupid errors on my job and I have lost a couple of contracts as a result. I know it is due to the stress of staying sober and trying to "deal". I am actually a bit frightened because I am usually very conscientious about things like work. I have an appt with my primary next week. My memory and ability to concentrate are very diminished. Because I own my own business, it is imperative that I stay on the ball. No other source of income.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate, I own my own shop too. We don't get the luxury of signing 3 year salary contracts with multi-national companies. Either we do the leg work to make that money show up in our bank account, or we go without food and shelter. No stability.

As for the concentration, I'm not sure, as I'm in the same shoes. I'll let you know when I find out though.

Only thing I can think of is, we need raw ambition to do what we do. We can't really just do it for a pay check, because that quickly spirals downwards. We have to love what we do, and we need to create our own sense of purpose beyond the money that comes in. Maybe try reflecting on how the work makes you feel, and consider slowly changing the direction of your business / offerings / tactics to something that suits you more?

By no means am I saying put yourself in jeopardy by doing a 180, but maybe branch out a little differently here & there to get a feeling if something that suits your personality better is viable or not?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Art you are on day 3 correct?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

GS - Yes, I relapsed for a night 3 days back. Before that I was clean since Jan.

Troy - Interesting that you should bring this up. I am rather burned out on my line of work. Have done it for over 30 years. I was working on my master's degree when I took in my mother to care for her. So that has been on the back burner since. Maybe I ought to revisit that.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Art. I too, am self employed and am kind of losing interest in what I've been doing for the last 10 years or so... Was hoping maybe I would get interested again now that I've quit drinking, but I guess we'll see!

Have you felt this way for a while or just since your relapse?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am an independent life insurance broker.
I found myself in your situation as well. Unable to focus on the client, read the client, even remember a client I sat with moments before. I submitted apps with errors and omissions.

That phase was very short lived. At least for me. Week 1 was the worst, week 2 was more concentration issues then anything. Week 3 really improved.

I drank more water, paid close attention to what I ate, took vitamins, and exercised. That helped a lot. Knowing I wasn't on my A game meant I had to pay closer attention and scrub my work....a couple times.

What I've learned since then....
I have more focus and I can tune into the client more then ever before. I still have my moments (about to hit 1mo), but they are few and far between and short lived. When I feel it, I take a break and try not to put myself in position where I cannot do my best.

It gets waaay better. Just double and triple check your work in the meantime. If you can...go for a short walk, a quick run, a few jumping jacks...anything to get the blood flowing to the brain again.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, cool, tons of self employed people here.

I guess we don't really have a choice in the matter, do we? Stable, good jobs with the corporate world are somewhat a thing of the past, so F it, we'll create our own jobs.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just noticed I made an error in the title of the post - concetrate! That is bad

site1q84 - It's been awhile, but it is getting worser (I did that one on purpose). I suppose the relapse didn't help much.

InControl15 - Thanks for sharing your ideas. Exercise is definitely lacking in my life. Need to get back to that.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Wow, cool, tons of self employed people here.

I guess we don't really have a choice in the matter, do we? Stable, good jobs with the corporate world are somewhat a thing of the past, so F it, we'll create our own jobs.
LOL! Yes, that is EXACTLY what happened to me. I was laid off one too many times, so I became an independent. No such thing as job security. Smoke and mirrors.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find my work was and is still suffering. I am getting better though. We have our own business as well, and I am the accountant/administrator/paperwork person. I touched on this in my thread, so it's nice to know this is a common blip with us on the road to recovery!

I have my own personal business which I have been desperately trying to get off the ground, but gave up on it so many times. Plus, I was shooting myself in the foot with the odd wine reward when I had a good day, week or month. I suspect things will turn around soon. Drinking never helped, only made things worse.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just visited Dr. Google, and thought I would share a bit about foods and vitamins that boost your brain power:

Berries are rich in antioxidants which protect your brain cells from oxidation and free radical damage. Antioxidants slow down brain aging and prevent disease while promoting the growth of healthy brain cells. Blueberries are probably the best source, because they have been shown to improve memory.

Choose foods high beta-carotene and vitamin c: mangos, carrots, peppers, oranges, broccoli. These fruits and veggies have natural sugars that keep you alert, and your brain needs natural sugars to function at its best.

Essential fatty acids are also necessary for maximum brain power, as well as promoting normal brain growth and development. These fatty acids also help boost memory and your ability to learn new things. Source of good omega fatty acids are marine plants and nuts and seeds. All nuts, particularly walnuts feed your brain because they keep your arteries clean boost serotonin levels. Serotonin is neurotransmitter that controls sleep, depression, memory and other neurological processes.

Foods high in folic acid like okra (not a fan personally), spinach, lentils, collards, asparagus, beans and sunflower seeds.

Flaxseed and real organic chocolate are brain food as well. They are rich in vitamin E which keeps your brain healthy. Real chocolate also releases dopamine, to enhance cognition and mood. (Note to self: pick some more of my maca chocolate bars, maca is a natual mood enhancer)

If you take supplements, these vitamins and minerals help your memory and reasoning powers while slowing down the signs of aging:
Vit A, E, C, B, folic acid and magnesium.

Eating the proper foods enhances your brain functions and using your brain for reading and learning new skills, such as a musical instrument (Haha, I was telling my husband I wanted to learn how to play the ukulele because it looks small and easy enough to learn), a new language, or computer skills, and doing crossword puzzles.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The ultimate irony for me in sobriety is chasing money has very little interest anymore. I've had money, bought stuff and today could care less. I am more interested in pursing the spiritual realm most days.

Have swung from highly driven to apathetic in that regard - I know it's not healthy this one extreme to another, I suppose. I am certain my banker would like to make certain I am working.

But, I understand trying to keep focus for the sake of the screaming eagle.......
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I second InControl's post about double and triple checking your work product. I have an independent law practice so for me no screw-ups are allowed. If I feel tired or brain-fogged I have to double or triple check my work product or email before hitting the send button. If that makes me inefficient, I just have to eat the extra time. After all, my issues are my own and not the fault of my client. But beyond worrying about professional embarrassment or malpractice, I think we freelance types need to think about our professional reputations and brands. You have to play the long game and think about the future. While there's no use crying over spilt milk, a lost client will not only not send you future work, but will not refer you to potential new clients like they might have otherwise. While many employees can get away with just showing up physically, at least for a while, we don't have that luxury.