Notices

5 Months!!!!!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Months!!!!!

My 5 month sobriety date was yesterday - I didn't even notice until today lol. I havne't been on this site in about 3 months - hope everyone is doing well.

With the happiness comes some sadness - which is what led me back to here. I don't really think I need advice (though I wouldn't be against some!) but I'm just confused.

A dear friend of mine that I met close to 20 years ago has been an alcoholic since the day I met him. He's been through treatment numerous times and tends to be clean for awhile and the fall off. About a year ago he was told that his liver was showing signes of scarring - but he'd be fine if he quit drinking immediately. He did.

When I was at the beginning of this sobriety thing last December he was my rock. I never thought he would fall off again. When I woke up for figure skating practice at 5am last Saturday morning I saw I had a voicemail from him, which was left at 3:30am. My heart broke immediately.

The voicemail was incoherent. Since then I've been getting text messages that are garbled and don't make much sense - it's such a reminder of how it was with him in the past. Even at my worst I could never drink like him, and it now sounds like he's trying to outdo himself.

He spoke to a mutual friend a few hours ago and begged for a ride home. We live in Minnesota - he's in Chicago. He doesn't know how long he's been there or how he got there. He found out today that he lost his job (been at the company for 10+ years) because he hasn't shown up or called since last Friday.

I know I can't do anything to help him. Our friend that he called has gone through this with him numerous times and of course won't pick him up, and he has called the police (not sure what they can do since we don't really know where he is - Chicago has a LOT of bars) but I guess that's all we can/should do.

Not even sure if I have any questions - I'm just pissed off. I hate alcohol. Even though it's not negatively effecting my life directly anymore it's still causing problems to those I care about. I had a sip of wine at a friends wedding last month without even thinking about it and almost threw up - I couldn't stand the taste. I don't know how that changed but I wish I did - I'm so scared my friend is going to end up dead one of the times he goes on a binge - he's been drunk since Friday - how is that even possible? At my worst I sometimes ended up home and didn't know how - I never ended up in another state. I guess I just have to let it go - I can't help - I should just stop responding to his texts or even reading them until he's home and sober.

Grr...........**** you alcohol.

Donnylutz
Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Congrats on 5 months, Donny. Sorry about your friend. And I share your opinion of that vile addictive poison.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!! 5 months is soo great!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Donny

D
Old 05-14-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why did you have the sip of wine last month? Was it accidental or did you consciously have a drink of wine. If so why did you do that and is there anything you can put into your plan to make sure it doesn't happen again, next time the sip might be a glass?
Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Donny - I'm so sorry to hear that you're having to go through this with your friend.

I'm not sure an alcoholic will stop until they are ready - I know that was the case with me. The friends and family section might be another valuable resource in the meantime for how you can support your friend.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety and I'm very sorry to read about your friend.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Donny
Old 05-14-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

5 Months is fantastic Donny!!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

5 months is awesome!!