Notices

I'm a heavy drinker.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a heavy drinker.

I'm here because I'm sick of the headaches, the restless nights, the despondency, the torpidity, and losing myself in a fog every single day. Today I finally realized that drinking gives me nothing good - absolutely nothing! I want to sleep better, feel good in the mornings, have enough energy to exercise, and feel alive again.

I took a few tests online and discovered that I'm a heavy drinker. I suspected that I was for quite a while, but seeing test after test comeback with the same results was a real wakeup call. Of course I feel bad most days, of course my head pounds in the morning, of course I'm queasy - I'm a heavy drinker and have been for many, many years.

If I want changes in my life, I'm going to have to make them. This then, is the first day of sobriety. Help.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I actually just looked up the same thing with the same results. I never felt like a really heavy drinker, maybe more than most people but not too bad. I didn't have a drink first thing in the morning and was more than capable of function at work or getting up early to go to the gym...
But at an average of 5 beers a day (usually a few more, rarely less) it appears I was very mistaken.

I'm on day 2, so it won't change my choice, but it sure was news to me!

Glad you're here, the support on this forum is fantastic and has already helped me tremendously. Hope it helps you the same!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a good place for support in getting sober. You can live a better life. Read and post as you like. And if you want to drink, post here instead.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR nanab - it's great to have you join us. You're never alone - there's always someone here to listen and understand.

It took me decades to finally reach the conclusion that you are. I can't touch the stuff or dangerous & unpredictable things will happen. I finally admitted there was no control once I had that first drink. Trying to use willpower was useless. I can't believe I clung to it for so long - life is so much better with eyes wide open and not in a fog. We're glad to have you with us.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome nanab. There are lots of heavy problematic drinkers here like myself getting sober. Once you start living the benefits of a sober life you'll begin to wonder why you even drank to start with. It's a tough go at first, but after a few months it becomes the new routine. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the responses, everyone! It helps to be heard.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The sober life is worth it. You'll get far more out of life sober than you can with drinking.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nanab

D
Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You are among people who know exactly what you are going through and are more than willing to walk this path toward recovery with you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on the decision to stay sober. I'm sober three months now and it's the best decision I've ever made. Life is much more enjoyable with clarity and control.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! So glad you are here!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good for you making a decision to free yourself - So glad you are here nanab!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nanab View Post
I'm here because I'm sick of the headaches, the restless nights, the despondency, the torpidity, and losing myself in a fog every single day. Today I finally realized that drinking gives me nothing good - absolutely nothing! I want to sleep better, feel good in the mornings, have enough energy to exercise, and feel alive again.

I took a few tests online and discovered that I'm a heavy drinker. I suspected that I was for quite a while, but seeing test after test comeback with the same results was a real wakeup call. Of course I feel bad most days, of course my head pounds in the morning, of course I'm queasy - I'm a heavy drinker and have been for many, many years.

If I want changes in my life, I'm going to have to make them. This then, is the first day of sobriety. Help.
Right on!!!

This is a fantastic move..... stick around and stick with your decision. You won't regret it.

Welcome.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR nanab.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first day!

I think it's cool that you took that test and the results clicked with you. I started going to AA meetings last year and despite listening, attending regularly and relating to people's stories, nothing clicked at all until very recently.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! There's plenty of good info and support here.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome. I feel the same as you. My sleep last night was horrible. I just want to feel better. It's day 1 for me as well. We can do this.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Nanab
Old 05-01-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am on day 2 and I can already tell its much better. The fog and the forgetting important things, I got tired of it. I would have to lie to people and say that I remembered them telling me something when in reality I had no recollection. I couldn't retain work information. I couldnt go to the gym. Well I am happy to say I did today.
Lets stick with it together
Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julesonya View Post
Welcome! I am on day 2 and I can already tell its much better. The fog and the forgetting important things, I got tired of it. I would have to lie to people and say that I remembered them telling me something when in reality I had no recollection. I couldn't retain work information. I couldnt go to the gym. Well I am happy to say I did today.
Lets stick with it together
The fog from the night before is the worst. My kids would come up to me the next morning and try to talk about the games we played before bedtime & I'd have no clue what they were talking about. Shameful. Glad you're here, Nanab. You're not alone.