Notices

Hi new here, my work/social life seems to include

Old 04-28-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi new here, my work/social life seems to include

drinking, at an event: drinking.........on a boat? Drinking...........golf outing: you get it..........how do I practice mindfulness and get myself off the merry go round? I've been a lurker, read about the AV, can't go to meetings because my town is small, and my hairdresser, drycleaner, server at the local restaurant-go to meetings!
Thanks LadyBlue
Old 04-28-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ladyblue. I think talking things over here will help. You're among people who understand the challenges you mentioned. For me, I had allowed my drinking to overtake my life - I had to quit or die. Thankfully, you won't let things get that far - you're taking action now.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why in the world if your hairdresser and dry cleaner go to meetings would that stop you? They are there for the same reason. My work and social life are very similar to yours. I worried for years what people would think if I quit drinking. They probably would have talked about that less than they did my DWI. Quit now while you can do it without the consequences of not quitting. It's much harder to maintain social standing when you are a raging alcoholic.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It tookm me a really long time to find new activities and surroundingings but eventually I did. I went through a lot of awkward times at social events trying to explain to people that I really didn't want a drink, but it became easier. It took a lot of practice and baby steps but new habits become old habits.
now it is second nature to say no to a drink and I have new hobbies that don't remind me of my drinkING days . when it comes to work events, I just say no thx, and then give an excuse like " it gives me a headache, or I want to go to the gym in the mornIng" . Ppl usually accept that
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ladyblue
Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Ladyblue. This is a great place to be with others looking to improve their lives.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Lady,

You're in a good place :-) With the AA meetings, I have actually bumped into people I know from outside of drinking, at meetings and it's totally fine. You're all there for the same reason and for me, dealing with the shame I feel about my addiction is a *huge* thing for me. If I am ashamed of where I am on this journey, then it ends up turning in on itself and I relapse, it's just my pattern. If you want to try a meeting and think it might be for you (and if you're curious, there's no harm going to them and seeing what it's all about!), then give it a go :-)

Also, I really recommend reading widely here. I've got some amazing advice from this forum and it's absolutely part of my recovery.

Welcome again and see you around!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You either learn to deal with your social events without drinking...or you stop going to those events. In early recovery I always recommend the 2nd option. Stay away from alcohol until you are strong in your sobriety.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LadyBlue!!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ladyblue

like Carl suggested I changed my life. I wanted change so badly it was no burden to do that.

I didn't become a hermit but I stayed away from social events involving alcohol for a while until I know I was strong enough to go to them and stay sober.

meet for coffee, go to the movies, have picnics - whatever....but stay away from booze....

Be protective of your sobriety in this early period. Nourish it
D