Notices

Day One

Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

I am getting ready for day one. This is probably my 12th attempt at day one, but I won't quit trying. This is my first time reaching out to ask for help. Looking for suggestions on what worked for you to get through day one, and day two, and day three, etc.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You're in a good place for ideas and support :-)

I started by working on a recovery plan. Maybe attending some kind of face to face meeting, then I started building around that. Lots of reading about addiction, writing every day and ways to deal with any cravings.

Have a look round and enjoy the community!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take the days slowly. Don't expect too much to quick.

Focus on staying sober TODAY.

Are you open to going to meetings at all? AA has proven to be very helpful.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

I needed the help of the people who have helped many millions attain sobriety in the fellowship of AA.

Many reject tge program because of so much ignorance of the unknown, for instance it is not a religious organization but refers to a higher power, which is more powerful than ourselves and some refer to as their God. I prefer the spirit of Mother Nature.

A lot of meetings helped cement our recovery and the program itself within the first 164 pages in the Big Book of AA keeps us secure as long as we continue using the program.

BE WELL
Old 04-20-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Namaskar nice to meet you
Old 04-20-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone!!! I would LOVE to go to an AA meeting. The only problem? My old boss went to AA (before my own problems with drinking), and used to name all of his "new friends" he met, and actually introduced us to some of them, and proceeded to tell us later that they were "in his program". I am VERY private about my struggles as I seem to be able to function properly day to day (I think my husband would likely disagree, but....), I simply can't feel comfortable going to AA meetings when I have seen that, because of some people, they are not that anonymous. I have tried to bring myself to calling AA, but I just can't based on this one individual's actions. So, I am hoping to find the support here that will help me.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK there are a few that don’t practice the teachings of the program unfortunately. Just suppose you parked on your neighbors lawn after drinking, are charged with DUI, are charged with child abuse, charged with maiming a family and on and on. For many that seems acceptable, but for whatever reason AA is suggested and so many run and hide. This darn thing we have called alcoholism is deadly to us and others.

I don’t want to be an alcoholic but accept it as a fact and do not hide that I’m in AA for a lot of years of which the benefits for me has been huge. I also understand others desire for privacy.

Perhaps you might go to different meetings where this person does not go? Explain your concers at a meeting and theymighr t have some good suggestions.

To me it’s not worth living a miserable life and miserable death. We have healthy optional choices we can make.

BE WELL
Old 04-20-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I bought myself a good book to read. I also bought some of that nighty night tea. At night, when I was normally drunk, I would read, drink tea and have a lollipop. You brain is going to be very noisy for a while and the reading will distract it. I was also able to nap in the afternoon. That gave me a "break" and I let myself eat whatever I wanted. And I drank a lot of soda which I never drank before. Do not worry about tomorrow or forever, only worry about today. Obviously I was on here a lot and I started going to AA. It helps meeting new sober people who love life. Welcome! And I am here if you need me. We all are

Jennifer
Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Namaskar1 View Post
Thank you so much everyone!!! I would LOVE to go to an AA meeting. The only problem? My old boss went to AA (before my own problems with drinking), and used to name all of his "new friends" he met, and actually introduced us to some of them, and proceeded to tell us later that they were "in his program". I am VERY private about my struggles as I seem to be able to function properly day to day (I think my husband would likely disagree, but....), I simply can't feel comfortable going to AA meetings when I have seen that, because of some people, they are not that anonymous. I have tried to bring myself to calling AA, but I just can't based on this one individual's actions. So, I am hoping to find the support here that will help me.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I've been to a lot of meetings and thankfully haven't encountered (or maybe I have and didn't realise!) anyone like your old boss. I really hope it doesn't put you off. There are weird eggs everywhere in this world and if AA is for you then it could be an amazing resource!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Namaskar!!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Namaskar1

Glad to have you with us.

For what it's worth your Boss is not typical...most AAers I've met understand what the second A stabds for

D
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Valerian root, This website, Liquid Vitamins, lots of water/juice, and having my brother stay with me for 7 days helped me in my early days. Going to meetings (sometimes 2 a day) helped as well. Did the 90 meetings in 90 days and been going strong ever since.