Notices

It Had To Happen

Old 04-03-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It Had To Happen

So I'm newly sober and dedicated from alcohol. April 2nd I received my second DWI, the first being three years ago, and now I am faced with the challenge, stress, and embarrassment of hiring a lawyer, going to court, etc.

My anxiety level and depression are real. I feel like a piece of **** because of it, but thankfully I have family and friends who support me through this. Being a very stubborn Polish man, it took this DWI and the number I blew (and not really feeling the effects of) that finally shot the message home: I have a problem.

My friends and family say that it will be alright and that it could have been much, much worse, but sometimes it is hard to find perspective when it feels like you are the biggest failure in the family. Hoping to find inspiration and see that silver lining.

-Xeno
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Xenodoma its nice to meet you

This place is fantastic for recovery & support & lots more

Enjoy and interact bud
Old 04-03-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Xeno. You will find a lot of support here.

Your family is right in that it could have been so much worse. You could have had a wreck and seriously hurt or even killed an innocent person, or yourself. Of course, the fact that it could have been worse doesn't change the fact that you are facing your second DWI.

You will get through this. It will be very expensive and very inconvenient for quite a long time, but you will get through it. I hope you will use this as a turning point in your life. You never have to go through this again.

Glad you found us. Hope you'll stick around and let us give you our support.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, obviously it could have been much, much worse. I'm glad you've decided to turn things around and change your life.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Thankfully I live in a state that it isn't going to cost me 10 grand, but it will still hurt financially, and it will still be, as you said, an inconvenience. As I said, when the officer told me what I blew, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. It has been a long time coming, and it sucks I had to realize it this way, but at least I did. I was destroying myself and harming my family. No more.

-Xeno
Old 04-03-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking and turn your life around. I got sober over five years ago and only wish I'd done it sooner.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 04-03-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad that you didn't injure anyone else. Do you have a plan to move forward?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Currently, Chrissy, my plan is to go to work, go home, and go training. Going to put myself in AA for myself and it is also going to look good in court. From a legal standpoint, ive talked to numerous lawyers and need to secure one to minimize any damage to myself and pocket book.

Unfortunately I do work as a bouncer but I have and will never drink on the job and I will notify my managers to refuse me service after work for our "shift drink".

I just hope I can make the payments required of me. That is the biggest area of worry.

-Xeno
Old 04-03-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are here.

Things don't work out so well for me when I drink/use and the boyfriend quit drinking when he met me-he gets it. We both have bad days-what is awesome is that we seem to balance each other out.

I'm looking at some serious legal implications (can't go in to detail here) so I know a little about how you feel. I called in a few favors and got a lawyer but that voice over the phone when I told my benefactor how much it would cost for the retainer-it was bad.

What I know today is that I don't have to continue to feel ashamed but I do have to stay away from drugs and alcohol or things turn in to a s*it show very, very fast. By staying clean and sober I've gotten a few great jobs and met some amazing people. I wouldn't have met those people had I been drinking/using.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Xeno! Your life is about to change for the better. I've been through the same thing - and it woke me up. I had a high tolerance after years of being dependent on it. My life was completely ruled by it. I'm sorry for all you're going through - but it feels great to be free. Glad you are with us for support & encouragement.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I had a very similar situation happen to me, but luckily it was the wake up call that got me sober. This site was a tremendous help.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, Xeno! My son is going through the same thing. Sober since it happened, with the help of meds. Grateful no one was hurt. Good luck to you.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Xenodoma!!