Notices

Hello - newbie

Old 03-29-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - newbie

Hi

I am struggling with my drinking at the moment. I've struggled for most of my adult life on-and-off with alcohol abuse. I have also had mental health problems although they've never been able to agree on what is actually wrong with me (I currently take an antidepressant).

Years ago I used to be completely addicted to alcohol, I had litres of wine a day and when I stopped I had quite bad withdrawal symptoms. Nowadays I am mostly a binge drinker, and I only drink on an evening, and the addiction is only psychological.

However recently I've been drinking more and I'm starting to head towards physiological addiction. The first signs, for me, are that I am scared to stay sober on an evening as I know I'd not sleep. I am also noticing my anxiety is increasing in the day.

On Friday night I had nearly a whole bottle of whisky (there was only about an inch left the next day).

Tonight I've made sure I stick to 2 litres of lager as I have to work tomorrow and drive early in the morning.

The plan is to reduce gradually each evening, but I find it hard. When the stress starts, work starts giving me hassle, the family start arguing, or I just feel bad - it gets hard. During the day I distract, on an evening I reach for the bottle.

So I've decided to get a book about stopping drinking - I don't know if anyone has any recommendations?

And the support of like-minded people may help as well .
Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Data.

I am sure you are aware drinking whilst taking anti-depressants is not a good move as you are not letting the tablets do their work and that alcohol in itself is a depressant.

I know how you feel about the worry of not sleeping but it only lasts a few days. Sleeping when sober is more deep and you feel more refreshed.

Good luck on your journey and SR is a good place to come for support
Old 03-29-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
learning to live

Hi Data -

Welcome

Have you read Rational Recovery by Jack Trimpey? That book made a lot of sense to me and was an easy read.

Best of luck in sobriety. Remember to utilize SR....you will find a lot of support here

Welcome!!!! And Dean is correct the sleep will even out and you will wonder why you ever used drinking for "sleep" as it is so bad compared to a real nights sleep.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of Allen Carr's books as he explains things in a very logical manner.

It's also good to have support, let your doctor know in case detox gets bad and you need medical intervention, and creating a plan (how to deal with triggers, things to do instead of drink, etc). I also think journaling is a great tool to understand the Why behind the addiction.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Data!!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I got sober with the help of a counselor and daily visits to this site.

I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good!

I love your name! Data was my favorite character in Star Trek tng.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is our book list with lots of great titles:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Hey data, I am with you.

The other morning I woke up to an apartment of empty glasses. My normal routine is wake up, go to work, come home, start drinking. When I am shopping for groceries I always have a separate list for alcohol and its always 3/4 of the money spent .

I tried to start two days ago to stop and as hard as I tell myself I am going to... it takes only an hour or two before I start pouring myself another glass... by the end of any given day I have usually demolished half a bottle of wine, a couple of beers, AND half a bottle of whiskey... I'm tired... I feel like life is passing me by...

You know what I want? I want to stop missing out on everything in life. I want to go camping and have adventures and explore the world... I want to fall in love with the world. But its so hard because the fear of not knowing myself sober... not knowing what I like... that beginning stage of feeling completely empty when I stop drinking... what do I think? what do I feel?

Anyways, I am at the same place as you... I know I have a problem. and I am trying to deal with it... and I am scared but determined...

my current plan? On Tuesday night I am giving all of my liquor to my close friend to hold on to... I told him and two others I am very close too what I am doing and why I am doing it. That same night I am stalking my fridge with water, juice, and food... and renting a BUNCh of movies to watch and maybe getting a couple games to play.... I am also arranging to take the next 3 days off from work to stay home... Will let you know how it goes if you add me as a friend.

Good luck to us both!! We can totally do this... there's a whole world of awesome things to see and do out there... a whole world of amazing people to meet...
Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi people, thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, I am not using alcohol to sleep as such. Normally nowadays I can get off to sleep ok (I do have sleep apnoea but thats another story).

I find that the first sign of physical addiction I get to alcohol is that when I stop drinking I have a night without sleep. And I can manage at work with a hangover, but I can't manage at work with no sleep. The last time I took ONE DAY off sick with stress at work there was a hell of a fuss about it. So I need to ensure I get into work tomorrow and the safest way is to ensure I don't stop drinking abruptly, just slow it down.

I am an expert at stopping drinking, I've done it many times .
Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Data its nice to meet you