Notices

right number of days to finish a bottle of vodka

Old 08-14-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Also having a drinking problem is sensitive to a person- we don't have to be jerks about it to someone.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

If I come back here in a year and say I've gone back to drinking and it's just fine because I put it in a different glass I profoundly hope that I get my butt handed to me because I would have it coming.

In my opinion, given how hard most here are working on real recovery based on no alcohol, ever, everyone has been rather polite.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
If I come back here in a year and say I've gone back to drinking and it's just fine because I put it in a different glass I profoundly hope that I get my butt handed to me because I would have it coming.

In my opinion, given how hard most here are working on real recovery based on no alcohol, ever, everyone has been rather polite.
At one point I thought I could moderate my drinking if I started drinking at a certain time of day.
It actually worked for a little bit- until of course it didn't.
I'm sensitive- if people were treating me the way they have been in this thread- I never would've come back.
Tough love isn't always answer- as much as people like to go about how it is.
I shy away from aggressive approaches- and I imagine I'm not the only one who does.
To me, kindness is always a good route to take.

This is of course my personal opinion.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Tons of people show up here, in AA among other places in denial- we of all people should understand that.
If OP has a drinking problem isn't the issue to me- its the way they have been spoken to.
When I first got here I knew nothing about being an alcoholic- I thought I was fine because I didn't drink everyday.
People arrive here at different places.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by reprimand View Post
Some future 'me's who will read the post and find a good advice about how to moderate drinking effectively.

It would have helped me one year ago immensely if I got this advice then.
You won't find the people who you imagine you're helping on this site. People who can moderate don't use the word 'moderate', and don't need to figure out how to do it.

I can't help but think that you're either playing around here or that you're missing something important about your own drinking.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Let me get this right, the way to moderate drinking effectively is by using a different glass?
Yeah. I moderated by eliminating the glass altogether.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people arrive here not sure whether they have a problem or not.

That doesn't make people trolls, and - with all due respect to those who posted questioning my judgement - it doesn't make these kinds of threads inherently dangerous in themselves. I think there were some great responses and great recovery here.

But...a discussion on the OPs motives wasn't really what I had in mind, guys.

Reprimand asked me to share this:

Originally Posted by reprimand
Dear Dee74, Thanks for your support. I finally totally get it why people reacted that way. I think is it quite natural. I wrote the following to conclude this thread, in most parts appreciating the people here. But closing the thread is perhaps a better way of concluding the discussion. In any case, I thought I would share this with you. And if it helps any members to alleviate their grievances and shocks, please feel free to share this with them.

Hi All, I think I have been inconsiderate in my posts regarding the goal of this forum. I feel sorry for that. Those of you who are now sober should be very proud. That is an amazing feat. The resistance you are showing is all brave and natural.

The great thing for me over the past year, which should not go unnoticed is the fact that my frequency of drinking has gone down from an alarming rate to near zero. It is a great change, so I was recently thinking I will come back and let you know. The glass thing is something I realized last night, which tells how stupid and insignificant it was to bring up hoping it will elicit some interesting discussion. Let us all just forget that. This forum should get some credit for the enormous reduction in my drinking frequency.

Have fun guys!!

I think it's fair now to close the thread.

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 08-14-2016 at 06:24 PM.