Notices

Preparing for a high risk trip

Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been to Japan...

There is plenty of REAL fun there sober.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="Someone cloned my credit card and stole thousands of dollars.
I missed a crucial meeting and was formally disciplined by my employer.
I was assaulted by a member of the criminal gang called the Yakuza.

It hurts to say all this because I feel like I'm forfeiting a lot of fun if I decide not to drink in Japan" /[QUOTE]"

-----------

The joy of cut and paste I have found myself in several bizarre situations as a result of my drinking.. It is with gods grace I survived. Each time I would have a definite thought that this was going to be a normal evening and nothing untoward would happen. I was wrong many many times. That's my story
Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Can't get quote to work properly.. Anyhoo, the second bit above is mine
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've spent some time wasted in Asia myself, and I look back on with regret. Some of it was "fun" at the time, but I also wasted a lot of time that I won't get back for such an incredible experience.

If you are going for business, are you going to be pressured to drink? I know that can become almost obligatory in a sense depending on what type of business you are doing. Of course, you DON'T have to drink, but if you are having people there trying to show you a good time and you don't have a set way to politely decline, you could be setting yourself up for disaster.

As others have said, you definitely need a plan. I need a plan to get through some much easier stuff than international travel! Drink lots of water, tea, eat heartily and find some ways to occupy your free time. If your hotel has a gym, that is always helpful for me to eat up time and just to focus myself. When I keep my body healthy I tend to make healthier decisions.

I guess the most important part is to make the decision NOW not to drink. You can't leave it on the fence to decide when you get there. And maybe it won't be that much fun because you will be on your guard to stay sober, but that's the breaks when it comes to fixing your life. One trip that isn't as exciting is worth the freedom of having your life in control for the future, isn't it?

Good luck getting yourself together! You can do it, but you will have to be ready to be mindful. There are plenty of sober things to do anywhere in the world, I'm sure Japan has plenty
Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi endlesspatience. Sounds like you want a boozy holiday. But as you said, bad things happened last time you went and drank.

Maybe remember back to how bad you felt when the Japanese businessmen dressed you up as Sailor Moon and made you serve them ramen at the Saki club? Or that time you attended a meeting drunk and wound up trying to start a conga line at the conference table?

Oh.. Don't remember?

Luckily other people will be there to remind you about what you did while drunk on a business trip.

You probably don't want that on your resume.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you want to be sober, eventually you're going to have to take a sober trip. You've got 11 days now which is a great foundation! It'd be a shame to throw it away.

You know Japan, you've been there before. You know what you're "missing". It seems like a good time to start. Are there any other activities you can replace the drinking with? How about hiking a mountain then rewarding yourself with a soak in the onsen?

I do sympathize though - it being a business trip may make it quite challenging. But you should still do your very best!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've traveled a lot since my mid-20's, both on business and for fun. Drinking on my trips was fun initially for sure, but not what it had become eventually. I would often not want to see anything in a new place except the inside of my hotel room and my computer, hammered. That wasn't fun at all, it was misery, and I missed the whole experience. I've also traveled a fair amount since sober, and it's been infinitely more enjoyable. If nothing else, I don't need to get around in a strange place sick like a dog with a hangover. I agree with the others who suggested to make a plan of activities in advance. Then stick with them.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I'm in the middle of a travel trip. I'm visiting UK and France with classmates. I was sober for three weeks, yesterday I hit 4 weeks whilst in London. My classmates are drinking. Lots of pubs here. I decided I wasn't going to drink early and just order tea or water. I'm saving lots of money, enjoying the tasty food, waking up clear minded enjoying my studies and sights without hangovers. So, do it. Be sober. I'm also watching some classmates miss activities, hook up, dramas, and feeling like crap, sleeping at guest lectures because of drinks. One bought wine today at 9am with three cups so they can drink before train to France. I shudder to think about wasting money and time doing that. So, if I'm doing it, you can too. Get into the right mindset now. That's what I did before the trip. Have safe and wonderful trip!