Notices

Help or hungover?

Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

cjwat amd CC, I wish you guys well. Everyone has different thresholds, When I went through my episode it scared me enough to know NEVER to do that again. The irrational thought of being scared or thinking you might die is JUST NOT WORTH IT.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Indeed agreed, did you have the "fear" too? I wonder why it effects like that. I recon I have had this problem years but im just learning it as recall now when was in Tenerife at about 20 and the floor was trembling to me!!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

ey up midduck! :-)

well, very early days for me too - day 9. But I have only drunk maybe 4 nights this year. It has been something of a phased withdrawal for me. I have had to have the experience of juxtaposing sober weekends with...well, less sober ones and it has helped clarify things for me.

I hear you about alcohol being the grease in the wheels for lots of things we enjoy (us lads) and it is the same for me. But I have been doing some of that stuff sober over the last 6 months and, despite everything, I have still enjoyed it! I think it is hard to accept that we can't have it all - that something has to give. I am a long way from fully accepting that but on the right road.

What makes it a bit easier for me is to say that the thing I am giving up is the horrendous hangover. That is what I am turning my back on. For me, that probably means complete sobriety as I don't make the best plans after the first pint! hehe :-) So I am trying to concentrate on the rewards rather than the price if you see what I mean.

Anyway, got to nip off now Cjwat but been great chatting. I am sure we will speak further!

best wishes to you

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chordcowboy View Post
ey up midduck! :-)

well, very early days for me too - day 9. But I have only drunk maybe 4 nights this year. It has been something of a phased withdrawal for me. I have had to have the experience of juxtaposing sober weekends with...well, less sober ones and it has helped clarify things for me.

I hear you about alcohol being the grease in the wheels for lots of things we enjoy (us lads) and it is the same for me. But I have been doing some of that stuff sober over the last 6 months and, despite everything, I have still enjoyed it! I think it is hard to accept that we can't have it all - that something has to give. I am a long way from fully accepting that but on the right road.

What makes it a bit easier for me is to say that the thing I am giving up is the horrendous hangover. That is what I am turning my back on. For me, that probably means complete sobriety as I don't make the best plans after the first pint! hehe :-) So I am trying to concentrate on the rewards rather than the price if you see what I mean.

Anyway, got to nip off now Cjwat but been great chatting. I am sure we will speak further!

best wishes to you

CC
I hope your not off to the pub!! Been good too I have calmed down somewhat since on here today, its good talking to people that understand the situation and know its not in my head etc
Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cj, I'm very sorry if you thought I was judging you...I'm just a bit crabby today!

I'm in absolutely no position to judge anyone! Lol! I've been druggin for the last 10yrs ( & drinkin & druggin 15yrs prior to that!!! )

So, I apologize for being short w/you.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hey no I just meant in general , I think we all realise life is to short and we all been well (pissing it up the wall) which isn't good for anyone. I am really worried I have done long term damage to my brain but no real evidence why and I wont go docs. I ust hope in afew days things be ok :-(
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cjwat View Post
I hope your not off to the pub!! Been good too I have calmed down somewhat since on here today, its good talking to people that understand the situation and know its not in my head etc
hehe, no definitely not the pub! At home with a cuppa! :-)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good man, cheese sandwich my end!! Any ideas on solution to how I will sleep tonight ? Can you advise any procedure with withdrawals I cant go to work with no sleep tomorrow I will be a walking dead man
Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi cjwat

honestly I can't offer you very much by way of useful advice.

Do whatever you find comforting (except drink of course!). I think it is all about taking the edge of things for a few days. Personally i find TV and internet too stimulating at those times and it doesn't help with sleep. Reading is better. I know that poor sleep is inevitable for a couple of nights and just have to accept it. Make sure you have plenty of water within reach overnight in case you wake up dehydrated. I go to bed early on the basis that 10 hours of broken sleep is better than 7 hours of broken sleep.
If you have to call in sick then do it. You have to take care of yourself and if that means missing a day of work then so be it - in the long run it will aid recovery. I am not sure if you can do this??
Above all, be hopeful. You have joined this group, decided to change some stuff and, though you are having a bad time, this could well be a really important time for you and the springboard to much better things. Your thinking and emotions will most likely settle down in a few days. Until then do / eat / read / watch/ listen to whatever comforts you and lifts your mood a bit.
Best wishes

CC
Old 03-23-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

well thanks anyway, I just chilling tonight. That's one thing that worries me I cant quench my first and have had loads of liquid today, at least 2 ltrs water, a ltr of cranberry juice etc, I guess my liver has packed up :-(
Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cjwat View Post
well thanks anyway, I just chilling tonight. That's one thing that worries me I cant quench my first and have had loads of liquid today, at least 2 ltrs water, a ltr of cranberry juice etc, I guess my liver has packed up :-(
Have you been eating?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

yep though I didn't much when in my stupper Friday / Saturday, yesterday I had a KFC and sandwich later on today had a carvery and sandwich tonight with crisps. Had some fruit too. Eating though makes me feel weird like a sugar rush and get shakes again
Old 03-23-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Its more of the withdrawals IMO, I've been through it. When you eat, the symptoms return for awhile. For me it was my heartbeat. Terrible. Anyway, please keep going. Your thirst is probably related to your food intake. Keep drinking fluids, if you are anything like me, you are at the stage where you are almost free. Once my appetite and thirst came back, I knew I was pretty much out of the woods. Congrats if that is the case. Now, lets try not to get ourselves in that condition again?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yep. Only solution is the alcohol has to go. Once we start experiencing the strange hangovers (i.e., withdrawal) we are past the point of no return.

My hangovers went from headache and upset stomach to heart palpitations, sweats, chills, and diarrhea. Time to stop drinking. It doesn't matter how you do it, you have to do it now.

You can too. I didn't think I'd ever stop but I used the great people here as support and checked in every day. Put as much effort into your sobriety as you did your drinking and you're ready to go.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well a bit of good news , I slept for about 9 hours last night , was really pleased when woke up, still shattered though and skakey but that maybe the tiredness. Either way day 3 since the binge and I have put my suit on and off to work I go. Lots of cranberry juice and water today and going to get ta sauna later which think may help!! Fingers crossed.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I started off with similar withdrawals. I can assure you, it gets very much worse. Football was my trigger, But in the end I did not need football to have a drink. Anythng and everything was a reason.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Really pleased you got some sleep.

I have learnt that when recovering from binges, you need to think in terms of weeks not days. Just one big weekend sends my body (and mind) haywire and it takes quite a while to get any kind of equilibrium back.

Sounds like you are doing many of the best possible things in terms of looking after yourself so it will come.

The thing about the mad 'sugar rush' after eating... I am very familiar with this. Previously I googled it and of course pronounced myself beyond hope based on what I found! Obviously I cannot and will not attempt to give medical advice but I will share my experience.

I found that, after a couple of weeks of not drinking, and once I cut out the junk food that I used for comfort, this disappeared quite quickly. I think it may be linked to blood sugar but also perhaps to excess adrenalin because physical exercise also settled it down. Anyway, I have no expertise in that area. Suffice to say that living better sorted it for me.

Best wishes to you and keep up the good work!

CC
Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

cj, please let us know how you are doing tomorrow. Is most of the bad stuff gone? Glad you slept better.