Notices

Hanging Tough, But Really Struggling

Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hanging Tough, But Really Struggling

Well, it's Day 32. I almost drank on Day 30. I mean, I was going to drink - me and my husband were going to share a bottle of my favorite wine (at my urging). After dinner, I had a change of heart, and asked him, "Would you be bummed if I decided not to have that wine with you?" and he said, "No, I'd be proud of you." So that was that, and I'm so glad I didn't drink. Haven't had the same urgency to drink.

I have noticed that my skin is better (less red in face, not as dry). My eyes/face are less swollen, and I don't feel as bloated. And while there are a lot of good things about being off the booze, the thing that really irks me is my weight/appearance.

I'd be a liar if I said that vanity wasn't a motivating factor. It's probably the main reason I quit drinking in the first place. I gained a good 40 pounds over the last year while I was drinking heavily.

I was hoping that I would lose some of the weight, but I actually gained a pound in my first 30 days. I eat pretty clean (low on carbs, lots of protein and veggies, healthy fats (olive/coconut oil), minimal fruits, no sweets and no snacking), and I started walking a bit (hard for me to do serious exercise due to arthritis). We went on a camping trip recently and I walked every day around the campgrounds. I felt more energetic, and a bit lighter on my feet.

I still look a good 6 months pregnant.

I'm trying to just accept that this is just my "new" weight, and trying to just resign myself to being overweight, but I will have to buy an entire new wardrobe (I'm stuck in yoga pants right now). Plus, I just don't feel right. I feel really uncomfortable in this body.

I know it won't happen over night, but I was hoping for just a couple of pounds to come off in that first month. Anyone else find that weight was slow to come off?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The body is a resilient little bugger. It doesn't like rapid change, and is the most formidable of opponents (this works in your favor long run). Right now, it is probably fighting with you for status quo - constant weight. It will slow things down in terms of metabolism, etc. just to keep you where you are. But it's a game of chicken, and your body can blink first - just don't feed the beast. You will see, stay the course, and one week, you will notice that the weight just starts melting off - the body will have just blinked. Stay true (30/30/40 - protein, fat, high fiber carbs), exercise - and it will happen. I'm down about 50lbs from my high, and that's all I did. It was me against my body, and my body blinked!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be patient with yourself and your body. For now priority is to build some sobriety muscles. In time you can increase your physical activity and shed a few pounds.

Stay strong
Old 03-21-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it's going to take time, years of drinking is gonna need more than a month to adjust and heal from, but it will happen.

Keep pushing through on your Day 32!!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me a while to lose the weight I gained from drinking. I would lose a little, than gain a little for a while. I slowly increased my activity level and stayed consistent with it. Eventually, the weight started to come off, but it took a lot of work and patience to get there. At my age, it's harder to lose that weight, but I'm getting there.
Sounds like your on the right track. Stick with it and eventually you'll see the results. Good luck. John