Notices

Day One Again

Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One Again

My first "day one" that I posted here, I ended up drinking 3 days later. The insanity must end today. I realize that one of the reasons I've had a difficult time quitting this time around is loneliness and isolation, as well as emotional pain from my past. I have come to the conclusion, that I need to make changes in my life, not just quitting drinking.

It's good to be back here again. I'm going to be active in this forum much more.

Does anyone have anything that they want to share about how they changed other areas in their life when they quit drinking? I need to feel hopeful again that my life is going to improve.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you completely about changing other parts of your life. Like you, this was essential for me, too. I made a geographic move to a city where English was not the first language) due to husband's job as I was beginning recovery. I took a chance and got involved in volunteering with women who lived on the street. I thought I might have something to offer. Interestingly, they gave me far more than I could ever have given them. And, I made great friends with some of the other volunteers, too. I was so very low at that point in my life, that being a part of something larger than myself was exactly what I needed.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you back ES. I got off to a slow start too - I guess I needed further proof. Main thing is, you haven't given up - and you learned something about yourself. We know you can do this.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back embracesobriety!

Do you have a plan as to what you're going to do when the cravings hit?
Having a plan in place for that was critical for me in early sobriety. I usually went to the gym, tried to distract myself by going to the store, would hang out here, and if at the end of my rope, would post and learn from others.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteering was good for me too ES.

I had no real idea of who I was sober... much less what I wanted, or what I needed to be happy.

The sense of purpose I got from volunteering, and the human contact, helped me on my way in that journey of self discovery

D
Old 03-15-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Embrace - left a 28 year marriage, moved 2 provinces away, moved to a town that I never lived in before and know no one - rented a house that I could afford and allowed me my dogs. I joined a community theatre group to try and make friends as well as have fun with my new community. I am going to do some volunteer work. I am working on painting my kitchen. I am building a brand new life in a place where no one knows the old me. It shouldn't be boring.

Last edited by Calicofish; 03-15-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 03-15-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I've been back and forth myself. Only a month into it now. I've pushed myself out of comfort zone this time. Mtgs, a sponsor, etc. excercize is great help also.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Spent 2 hours at the gym today and did a hard workout and kept busy. Nighttime is the challenge. I've had insomnia for years, and the wine was how I would sleep. I took some sleeping pills (benedryl and zquil) and a long walk. Hoping it kicks in soon. My anxiety is bad. Thank you for your words of encouragement and support.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmbraceSobriety View Post

Does anyone have anything that they want to share about how they changed other areas in their life when they quit drinking?
Somewhere in the AA Big Book it mentions that besides being sober we had to let go of some old ideas. In my case it seemed to be more than some.
MM
Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventurer

My drinking was triggered my loneliness and isolation same as you. I always hid my drinking and got drunk alone. The only people who really knew I had a problem was close family. I would almost never drink publicly.

It is hard to get a grip on things being isolated so being on here is a good thing. Hobbys help as well and if you get an urge, have something else set up to take your mind off of it like a diversion.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a sober plan ?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmbraceSobriety View Post
Does anyone have anything that they want to share about how they changed other areas in their life when they quit drinking? I need to feel hopeful again that my life is going to improve.
I have lots to share about this...

but the summary is that I changed nearly every other area of my life.

All for the better.

Hang in there, it takes time, it takes ACTION, it takes work. It won't be easy and sometimes it will really suck. But it will get better.

It will get better and better and better and it will be all SO worth it.

One day in the not too distant future, from a brighter, higher, richer, more joyful place you will wonder with puzzlement at how you ever spent so much time concerned with drinking.... you will wonder how you hadn't seen how wonderful life is....

you can do this.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Day one is better than day none xxxx