Notices

How do you have fun without alcohol?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in exactly the same boat you are in! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and to congratulate you on 3 months!

I think in time we will figure this out lol!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will get easier bud
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am simply enjoying life more now! I actually laugh and it's real and appropriate! So yes I have fun and am having fun!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
I am simply enjoying life more now! I actually laugh and it's real and appropriate! So yes I have fun and am having fun!
Kinda freaked me out there for a minute........I know a gal at the university I call Buggirl cause I caught her sneaking around in the bushes on campus trying to catch butterflies. We run into each other now and then and chat. Still don't know her name lol. I used to be into bugs when I was a kid but it progressed into rocks which i'm still into. And quit heavily at that.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Alcohol stimulates dopamine release causing pleasure. In response to chronic elevated dopamine levels the brain raises the hedonic setpoint - the pleasure threshold - higher and higher. Turns out its bad for survival to be happily buzzed all the time, so the brain fights back.

When you first started drinking you didn't need a 12-pack before going out, right? But with persistent drinking you needed more and more alcohol to feel the pleasure of drinking.

Eventually you can raise your hedonic setpoint to a level where you can't drink enough to feel the pleasure before passing out. Been there, done that. The flip side is that I felt miserable unless I was drinking - so I just needed to drink to feel less bad.

You don't want to get to that point. It sucks more than being bored.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Holly crap,didn't know any of that. I'd have to guess with my gene pool that level 3 must be difficult to reach. In fact with the amounts i've got up to i'm pretty sure i'd be dead. No thanks.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jen73 View Post
Hello there, it is taking me a long time to have fun when I am sober too. its really hard sometimes, cause I get really bored too, very restless and I normally drink when I get bored.

I have put a list of things I could try to keep me sober and still have fun.

Be your own best company- this is pretty hard for me, cause I feel alone most times. But I am the only one in this situation that knows me.

Absorb what’s happening around you- being sober shows me how stupid I was seeing others drunk.

Connect with other sobers- I go to AA meetings and go out to dinner with them here and there.

Figure out the highlights of the night while the night is still happening- still having problems with this, cause here are mostly bars, night clubs, things I enjoy when I use to drink. I do have hobbys I do and I try to stick with them to keep things off my mind.

Remember that you’re strong - I am very strong, but I don't think I am strong enough to go out with friends who drink yet!!

Treat yourself to something delicious at the end of the night- I treat myself with something when I crave for alcohol, I eat some Carmel ice cream or something sweet!!
I actually do spend a lot of time alone. And I like it. I am married, but she works and is gone a lot. There's only one person that can make me quit, I discovered, and that is me. Unfortunately drunks are always close by and i'm not planning on moving. You know, I was really wanting to quit sometime ago. In fact it was getting to the point when friends wanted to come over I was like "oh crap, here we go again god i'm getting tired of this". Since my closest neighbor, 1/4mile down the road as i'm rural, is also a good friend I still hang with him now and then. He's drunk ALL THE TIME. I'm lucky.......it doesn't bother me. "However", when I know they are having get togethers, say tonight for instance, I avoid that. I already told him not to jack with me and he usually does a pretty good job. It's very interesting to be on this side of the fence for a change and see how crazy it all really is. I sure wish you well!
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wonder the same thing sometimes. Fun without drinking?? I live in Vegas and its about to be pool party season. Ugh...my wife loves the pools and the atmosphere. I'm not big on pool parties, but I enjoy hanging out with my wife. Spring/Summer here means nothing but parties.

I have to be able to enjoy myself without drinking like I normally would. I feel that I can do it. I do miss drinking sometimes. I don't miss the issues it brought me thats for sure. I mean the socializing, atmosphere just having a good time socially.

I take it one day at a time though.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have fun without alcohol because without it I'm not isolated depressed and suicidal.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Dog, I own a construction company, I know that booze and beer are part of the "trade". But I abstain from alcohol during the week (trying to quit weekends). Some guys look at me like I'm crazy, but it has to be that way. I turn down beers every week, all summer long. I don't care about them, I care about me. Congrats on 3 months. You are doing a good thing.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The real problem is the "point of reference" that you develop while drinking or using drugs. For a while, a lot of activities do seem to have "enhanced" enjoyability by being under the influence. Personally, I found music was especially enjoyable while I was drinking.

Prior to the alcohol or drugs entering the mix, we had enjoyed these activities sober and had no "point of reference". An "ignorance is bliss" scenario. The problem is we can't un-experience what we have experienced..... that's why everything seems more dull all of a sudden.

On another note, I'm coming up on 400 days clean so it is do-able, even if it feels boring at times.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by dog69 View Post
I've always drank, will do a bio some other time. Long story short i've been sober for about 3 months now.

So at any rate, one of my favorite past times was drinking beer, riding 4 wheelers and shooting guns. We don't need to discuss safety issues. I worked heavy construction for 15 years my job required just nearly as dangerous things on a daily basis. At any rate I loved going to the creek. I would use the empty beer bottles for targets. This became a favorite past time and I also got a few of my redneck neighbors and friends addicted to it. I was getting nowhere fast being drunk all the time so quit drinking. At any rate I discovered being at the creek sober totally sucks. In fact, I don't really even care to cruise around on the 4 wheeler that much sober. It's just not the same.

Other things as well. Going to a bbq joint for example, my favorite food. Just isn't the same without a cold beer.

I'm not liking this at all. My friends are like well maybe you should just consume in moderation. That's hard to do when you don't work. That's another topic entirely btw. I tend to drink when I am bored and when the weather is nice. I was, what I term, a happy drunk. I never drank when I was upset of if it was cold outside. The problem with this time of year is that almost everyday is a good day to drink by my definition lol.

I'm trying to fill my time and keep busy in other ways(which is too much for this single topic), I just wanted to bring this problem up for discussion. I've really ever only known one person in my entire life that was always happy and didn't drink or do drugs and claimed he was high on life. I never understood how he could be like that. He even hanged out with all of us that did drink and do drugs but then where went to school at if he didn't hang out with us he'd be alone because just about all of us were like that.
Bottom line is - you'll get used to it. I reckon it's much more fun doing crazy things ober xxxx
Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Like you, I had favorite activities which were inextricably linked to drinking; sitting at the ballpark, sailing, etc.
I went several months where I either did not allow myself to enjoy those activities or in some cases even engage in them.
Over time, the way I think about alcohol has changed and I now enjoyed all of those activities more today than when I was drinking.
I'm guessing you will enjoying plinking root beer bottles as much as beer bottles before too long. Just give it a few more months.