Notices

Hi, little introduction

Old 03-10-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LilDrunk

Hi, little introduction

Hi. I just joined this site. I'm a 42 yr old guy living alone. I use xanax, ambien and tramadol. All prescribed. For some reason those are not any problem. But the last 6 months I've caught myself drinking more and more. It's up to half a liter bottle of gin or scotch every night. Don't drink during the day but around 2000 hrs a bottle is opened and it's getting out of hand. I don't have much of a social network to fall back on so I decided to look around online and found this.
I spend a lot of time drinking and gaming at night, sometimes until 0200 hrs. Then get up around noon. The times aren't really bothering me, there's nobody waiting for me to get up on time so why bother. But the drinking is getting worse. I stopped smoking recently because it was getting a bit expensive for my taste but now the money is spent on gin or scotch.

Anyway, that's a little about me. Hope to find some pointers here.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, lildrunk! Stick around here. Lots of wisdom and support to be had.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome lildrunk its nice to meet you
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, lildrunk. Sober Recovery is great, but don't just read the posts and be a lurker. I find posting and interacting with people helps a lot.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Welcome to SR, tons of support here.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a great place to find support. If you want to quit drinking it is up to you, and if you do decide to, we are all here for you. Being sober is so much better, and cheaper. lol Anyway, welcome aboard.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by lildrunk View Post
Hi. I just joined this site. I'm a 42 yr old guy living alone. I use xanax, ambien and tramadol. All prescribed.
Doctor prescribed, But are you using them as prescribed? Pretty sure you aren't supposed to drink on those meds.

That's a lot of alcohol. I suggest you see your doctor, tell him about your drinking (in full honesty) and of your desire to quit under medical supervision.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LilDrunk

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

Doctor prescribed, But are you using them as prescribed? Pretty sure you aren't supposed to drink on those meds.

That's a lot of alcohol. I suggest you see your doctor, tell him about your drinking (in full honesty) and of your desire to quit under medical supervision.
No, I'm not supposed to mix those and alcohol. But they're around the lowest doses available. And I use them as prescribed. The xanax and ambien I use daily, tramadol as needed for backpain, which is 50 mg's once a week on average.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LilDrunk

What's weird is. I don't have any apparent problems that would prompt drinking. It just kind of snuck up on me. I do go days without any alcohol and I don't get sick or unable to sleep or anything. I'm just bored to tears in the evening then.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What's weird is. I don't have any apparent problems that would prompt drinking. It just kind of snuck up on me. I do go days without any alcohol and I don't get sick or unable to sleep or anything. I'm just bored to tears in the evening then.
Tear-inducing boredom, which you can only relieve by drinking is a problem. But I think I know what you mean...that's there's no trauma or life drama that prompts drinking. Same with me. What I discovered was that drinking begets more drinking, which begets drinking related problems.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, lildrunk, to SR. You have found a very supportive and understanding community.

Have a look around the site; there is so much information on alcoholism and addiction - and the various methods and techniques which can be used to help achieve sobriety and recovery.

glad you found us.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LilDrunk

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Tear-inducing boredom, which you can only relieve by drinking is a problem. But I think I know what you mean...that's there's no trauma or life drama that prompts drinking. Same with me. What I discovered was that drinking begets more drinking, which begets drinking related problems.
Exactly. I'm not having any problems from this yet but I am recognizing that it's excessive so I plan to head it off before it gets to that point.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Lildrunk youl find so much support here know it will get easier
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exactly. I'm not having any problems from this yet but I am recognizing that it's excessive so I plan to head it off before it gets to that point.
Good! Lots of people wait till the problems start to pile up, smart of you stop now. I agree with those that suggested seeing a doctor - couldn't hurt, right?

Welcome to SR
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi lildrunk,
I'm new here too & alcohol is not my drug of choice, but I'm certain that it enslaves you, just as pills ( & heroin ) enslaved me!

Can I ask you why you are being prescribed xanax? And, if this is against the rules, can a long time member plz let me know, as I have no desire to be kicked off! I was prescribed klonopin for over 10yrs for PTSD, but have since kicked it!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LilDrunk

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Hi lildrunk,
I'm new here too & alcohol is not my drug of choice, but I'm certain that it enslaves you, just as pills ( & heroin ) enslaved me!

Can I ask you why you are being prescribed xanax? And, if this is against the rules, can a long time member plz let me know, as I have no desire to be kicked off! I was prescribed klonopin for over 10yrs for PTSD, but have since kicked it!
I got prescribed Xanax for anxiety after a burnout around 15 years back. Have since reduced it little by little to the lowest dose. Somewhere around this year It will be stopped completely. The ambien will stay. I just cannot get to sleep otherwise.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Man, do I miss sleep...lol! But, that's all I miss about using both opiates & benzos.

That's great that you are down to the lowest dose & I would definitely recommend that you try to find a local support ( who better to help you than those exactly like you? )

I'm in withdrawals myself ( day 13 of suboxine withdrawals... Uuhhgg...lol! ) I also quit a 10yr methadone, norcs & klonopin & a 4 1/2 mo heroin addition 6 mos ago! And, if I can do it..Anyone can lol!

I would definitely take 1 thing @ a time, 1 day @ a time. And when you need advice on quitting benzo's, I'll be here ( no medical advice. ).
Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum lildrunk!!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LilDrunk

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Man, do I miss sleep...lol! But, that's all I miss about using both opiates & benzos.

That's great that you are down to the lowest dose & I would definitely recommend that you try to find a local support ( who better to help you than those exactly like you? )

I'm in withdrawals myself ( day 13 of suboxine withdrawals... Uuhhgg...lol! ) I also quit a 10yr methadone, norcs & klonopin & a 4 1/2 mo heroin addition 6 mos ago! And, if I can do it..Anyone can lol!

I would definitely take 1 thing @ a time, 1 day @ a time. And when you need advice on quitting benzo's, I'll be here ( no medical advice. ).
Thank you. Quitting that last bit of xanax won't be a problem. I actually sometimes forget to take it and it doesn't really make that much of a difference anymore at .5mg
Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's good to hear! Even so, plz. cut down even more ( when the time comes. )
By no way shape or form, do I want to scare you @ all, but plz make sure you cut even those small doses in halves or even 1/8's when the time comes. And, that's only because of the longevity of your use ( however, benzo withdrawals are different w/everyone! )

Good luck on your sobriety!