Notices

Has anyone else lost family members to alcoholism?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My father died of liver failure and my mother was also alcoholic. There could be a genetic predisposition.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's really amazing to me how alcoholism and addiction in general seems to run in family lines. Even though some kids grew up in a clean house they still found themselves going down the same path. Sad. Too bad they can't just give everyone a shot at birth or something to get rid of that addiction gene!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was brought up by my grandparents til they died when i was 10 - both alcoholics (they had 13 children - all already dead of alcoholism or related vulnerabilities). At 10 I went to live with my birth mum and stepfather - both alcoholics. I have 4 step brothers and sisters...all but one have serious alcohol issues. I was the one who apparently 'escaped' the curse...but...I am now here! Yes, theres a clear link...
Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I lost my brother. Long story short, I was already drinking and didn't realize the severity of the situation until I had to. It has been really hard. It made my drinking worse.

My father is also an alcholic. But not to the same degree. I understand your pain and I wish you the best.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My father is a alcoholic. He has been one since his early twenties, but it got really out of hand when my mother left him when i was four. He is in his late 60s now, and his health is bad. He has had five strokes in the last two years, has very poor liver function, etc . I only see him sober for about thirty minutes in the morning. I have a very similar character to him, we are both sensitive and quiet. Have not lost him, thank God, but he has told me time and time again that he has no desire to quit drinking.

I have other 'heavy' drinkers in my family.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Also have a second cousin who choked on her own vomit while drunk, age 22. And Valium addiction in the family.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Double post
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My father died of cirrhosis. Both my grandfathers drank heavily, although they both seemed to be functioning. I had multiple great aunts and uncles who abused alcohol-at least one who was committed more than once.

Of the younger generations, 5 of 6 (me and siblings) had major addiction issues. 2 are dead-both died of cancer in their late 40s-early 50s. I have 2 nephews and one niece who abuse. Yeah, it runs in families.