Notices

Out of the clouds and back to dark reality

Old 03-09-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of the clouds and back to dark reality

Hi, so sadly my little amazing feeling didn't last, since I just went through some articles about binge-drinking and how much damage it does, especially to young people. I know I've been drinking 1 bottle of wine in two or three days. and four cans of beer a night, sometimes more than one time a week, and this for one year and 3 months.

Also, my brain seems to tingle since a few weeks and I'm very scared. I still dread seeing a doctor, especially since one of my friends who goes to the same one as me, told me that his binge-drinking went underdiagnosed and that he experienced a seizure, as a result.... I also fear that they will somehow tell me off for being stupid and weak, as doctors aren't usually known for their compassion.

I'm frightened beyond words, because I seem to have everything going against me: I already got drunk more than once at the young age of 19( I'm 21 now.) and I'm a woman.

Since a few days, I've also been having these strange stings in the left side of my body, right where my heart is.

Has anyone else had this? Please reassure me, if you have. I need some form of support.

And I apologize once more for complaining, for all of you out there who must already be tired of me. I just don't know how to be honest with my family about the fact that I've been drinking harder, than they know an SR seems to be all I have.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ipaidwithmylife View Post
I also fear that they will somehow tell me off for being stupid and weak, as doctors aren't usually known for their compassion.
ipaid, I don't think this is true at all. Maybe there are a few bad apples out there, but I think it's extremely unlikely that a doctor will say this to you. The doctor may tell you that you need to cut back or that your drinking pattern is dangerous, but that's just the truth and you know that. I know it can be hard to hear the truth sometimes, but I wouldn't be worried that the doctor isn't going to show any compassion and say you are "stupid and weak."

I think you SHOULD go see a doctor and have a frank discussion. Tell him/her all your symptoms and what you've been drinking. I've been learning in my early sobriety that the fear of the unknown is often a lot worse than the unknown itself. Maybe seeing a doctor can put your mind at ease.

Personally, I find that if I use google to try and self diagnose, I wind up thinking I have all kinds of horrible diseases and afflictions. It's not very productive for me personally, so I've stopped doing it.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you booked a Dr apt to get checked out
Old 03-09-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I have not. Part of me really wants to, but the other part is way too afraid that I'm not gonna like what I hear. That they'll tell me I'm stuck like this forever.

Also, before I CAN get a check-up I feel the need to do something drastic, since as I mentioned before: my family thinks I'm overreacting. They just believe I'm depressed, which I am, even more so as a result of my brain fog. And I don't want to see that pain in my mom's eyes, when she finds out what I've really been doing to myself. She told me not to drink so many times
Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And I know I really have to stop bothering people with my problems, as I'm not adding anything of use to this forum, but I feel awful and have been feeling so empty for so long.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

And I know I really have to stop bothering people with my problems, as I'm not adding anything of use to this forum, but I feel awful and have been feeling so empty for so long.
You are not bothering anyone with your problems. SR exists for support and you are seeking it. But some things cannot be resolved over an interweb forums, and that thing is medical issues. We can't diagnose you.

You are getting yourself worked up. Too worked up, over the unknown. You have concerns that need to be addressed by a medical professional. The brain and body is amazing resilient when it comes to recovering from alcohol abuse. Most of us have decades of drinking and once we quit we regained our health.

What you are experiencing may have NOTHING to do with alcohol. Only a doctor can determine that. So put away your fear before your anxiety makes you sicker than your drinking did.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

get to a Doctor and get checked out...

and get onto a sobriety plan. You're very young. I wish I'd found a path to sobriety at your age; my life would likely have been unfathomably better without 25+ years of binge drinking.

You are blessed right now - with enough awareness and concern to do something about the path you are on.

I hope you choose to do so..... because your entire life - literally - depends on it, from here on out.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey you guys, thanks a thousand times for listening to my endless rants again. I think with what you all provided me with, I will finally gather up the courage to get myself properly diagnosed. But it never helps, that I'm very depressive by nature and therefore experience every setback like a great disaster. Worst thing is that I've been to a neurologist before, but my parents were in the room with me and I was way too ashamed to reveal all...

My head just feels like it's no longer my own: I can't think straight, I can't remember a name, I have trouble processing new stuff. I feel like the true me has sunk down to the bottom of the well.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think you are bothering anyone. This site is here to help each other. You are very young, the body is amazingly resilient. Not knowing if something is wrong is probably causing you anxiety worse than if you just went. I had to go the doctor last week and I had them take blood because I want to know if something is out of whack. I'm a weekender trying to quit.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would go to a doctor and ask for help. They are paid to help, it's their job.

They might give you a wake up call speech, but that never killed anyone. Binge drinking does.

Rooting for you! Doctor... go go go! ;-)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seeing a Dr is scary but it will set your mind at ease when it's done. - really

Stop frightening yourself with stuff on the internet too - most of us found our health was much better than we feared it might be

D
Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Seeing a doctor could be scary because you don't want to hear what they have to say but they are best situated to check you out, make suggestions and/or reassure you.

As to the specific doctor your friend saw. I don't know what "under diagnosed" means except code for "I wasn't completely honest with the doctor about how much alcohol I was really consuming." Before I quit I never told the doctor how much I drank. "A few" "Two? Three?"

Be completely honest. I've found my doctor to be concerned and caring. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're dealing with a lot of fear right now. I wonder if that's been a part of your motivation to abuse alcohol in the first place. If so, I can totally relate.

I've found that the best way to dissipate fear is to do exactly what I know I should - even if the actions itself is scary.

You've chosen sobriety, which means that you're probably aware of the not-so-pleasant effects drinking has had your life. Going to the doctor is your way of seeing if drinking has damaged your physical body in addition to your psychological and emotional well-being. If not, congratulations. You are fortunate. If there has been physical damage, then that knowledge should serve as a reminder of the importance of maintained sobriety. Either way, it's kind of a win-win scenario. You get to learn a little bit more about your experience and yourself.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

My head just feels like it's no longer my own: I can't think straight, I can't remember a name, I have trouble processing new stuff. I feel like the true me has sunk down to the bottom of the well.
I don't know whether or not you've ever been treated for it before, iPaid, but these are all signs and symptoms of moderate-to-severe anxiety. There's no way to know if they are organic in origin, psychological states, or symptoms of withdrawal without first being cleared medically.