Notices

Weight Loss

Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Loss

Last week, I stopped drinking after years of drinking around 8 snakebite each night. I've also been following a healthy diet, and expected to have started to lose weight, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Will it take time for my body to adjust before I start to see weight loss?

Thanks

Craig
Old 03-05-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes Craig it will take time depends how much exercise you choose to do

best not to strain in early sobriety congrats on a week btw

stick to your healthy diet rome wasnt built in a day youl get there
Old 03-05-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Weight loss is relative to the scale. But your perception of how you look in the mirror will improve. When i stopped drinking i lost only a ciuple if pounds on the scale, but my clothes all started to get looser. Without any extra cardio/exercise and not changing my already pretty decent diet i've lost a total of 10lbs in 5 weeks. From 199 to 189. I plan to lose another 10 this Spring through increased exercise.
You can also count your calories in/out. Apx 3500 calories = 1 lb. Whatever your total was with drinking you can EXPECT to lose the accompanied weight so long as you dont replace those calories with more food, etc.. Its slower in the first few weeks and then boom youll lose 3-4 lbs in one week. There are benefits to being sober. Losing weight is definately one of them.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Years of drinking isn't going to be repaired in a week, be patient and give things more time!!

Hang in there!!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me about two weeks to start to see a difference, I took the time to see what I was actually consuming in a week then the month it was quite shocking to see how many calories with roughly 104 cans light beer a week.

104 - 12ounch X 110 calories = 11440 X 4 Weeks: = 45,760 calories a month.

I theoretically should loose 14lbs this month with out changing my eating habits, enough to make me want to stop for good for my health..
Old 03-06-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in week 2 of sobriety. I also cut WAY back on carbs and sugar starting yesterday. I walk a lot so I'm hoping I'll drop a few pounds in the coming weeks. Hopefully it will be from the small paunch I've developed over the winter.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been sober 12 days now. I feel lighter but my clothes are still snug. My scale broke, so I don't know if I've actually lost weight, but I do look better. And like I said, I feel lighter
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I've had to work as hard at losing weight as I've had to work at staying sober.

In otherwords, nothing in life is free and anything you want you've got to work for. Being sober has given me the opportunity to lose weight and become healthy, but only the opportunity.

It's still on me to get on the treadmill, do those sit ups and push ups and have that smoothie for lunch. 2.5 years later, I run 10k 4 or 5 times a week and have lost about 25kilos.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I lost 10 lbs within 3-4 weeks after I stopped drinking. I was a little freaked out with the weight loss, quite honestly. In retrospect, I was taking in 700 calories a night, so yes that amount of weight loss normal, when I ran the numbers. I'm now almost 100 days sober and I probably gained back 3-5lbs. I have a very healthy appetite, especially with sugar and carbs. I'm reigning that in now with replacing the candy bars with protein bars
Old 03-06-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Healthy weight loss is generally said to be no more than a couple of pounds a week. And, of course, your weight will vary from day to day anyway, depending on water and food intake. If a month or so goes by and you still haven't seen a drop, then you may need to tweak things a little. But for now I'd say just keep at it.

Also, make sure you are taking in enough calories. Over 1200, I've heard. If you starve yourself you can slow your metabolism making it difficult to make any progress.

I try not to weigh myself every day, maybe once a week or so. Not much is going to happen in 24 hours other than natural fluctuations that probably don't have any significant meaning.

Not sure how long it takes for your metabolism to speed up due to exercise and healthy diet, but I know it takes longer than a couple of days. I've been at it for a couple of months now and recently I skipped my exercise routine for 3 consecutive days and ate a whole bunch of junk food. When I stepped onto my scale I was kind of expecting to have been set back, or at least to have made no progress, but I still lost weight. Gotta keep that metabolism pumping!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Also, so early in sobriety I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight. If reaching a certain level of fitness helps motivate your sobriety, then awesome! It certainly helps me. I feel better and I think it helps to clear my mind. Weight loss is a nice perk, but don't forget to just enjoy the accomplishment of having done something really good for your body after years of abuse.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback. Yes perhaps I'm looking to see changes too quickly. The first week just seems to have taken so long. Just got to stick at it and changes should started to happen.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there bud
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck Craig.
I got the opposite problem. I can't stop eating. Sometimes hungry sometimes boredom.