Notices

Day 3 - Again no sleep

Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 3 - Again no sleep

My last day of drinking was Saturday, the 28th and today is the start of day 3.

Last night I may have slept 2 or 3 hours but not all at once. It was more like surfing on the rolling skin of pain and discomfort. The plague of self recrimination that has in the past kept me awake hasn't hit yet but the back and hip aches, twinges, leg spasms are bad enough. I can't get comfortable no matter what I do and it... I don't know what to do.

The thought that kept going through my mind is that "this is why I kept drinking as long as I did..." That's ******** of course, I drink because I'm a drunk. I've got a million reasons to drink but not being able to sleep through the night has got to be at the top of the list. At 12:45am this morning, 3 hours into my attempt to sleep, the thought crossed my mind that in the past this was the point at which I crumbled and went to the store to pick up some 12 oz cans of poison.

I didn't do it, I shifted around until at some point I drifted off, for a little while at least. But man oh man, I hate the sleepless nights.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember the last time I quit, it took me around five days before I could sleep through the night, and that was with sleeping medication. I remember coming home after work on a Friday, tired as hell, went straight to bed and slept 14 hours. Have been sleeping pretty well since then. It just takes time but I know how hard it can be. What your going through will pass. John
Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh hey, I'm so with you on this; I'm finding it the biggest side effect I'm suffering is insomnia. My kids are sleeping thro the night yet I'm tossing and turning, unable to switch off my mind, only dozing into a light sleep, waking at every little noise. Last night I saw every hour on the clock and have felt hungover all day, gahh the irony! Yes drink knocked me out like a light but I'm telling myself it wasnt real, quality, restorative sleep. This always happens when I come off alcohol, just hoping it will settle down naturally soon as our bodies back into a natural synch? It has to, right??! Hope you have a better night tonight x
Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just be patient - it can take awhile. I was just like you at the start. I'm closing in on 4 months sober and am still seeing progressive improvement in my sleep patterns. It can get really frustrating but it does get better over time.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am on Day 6 today, last night, I finally slept. 1am-7, and pretty solid sleep. Day 3 was really tough for me to sleep. We are so used to passing out vs. truly sleeping I think. Hang in there! Feeling slightly better this morning, and for the first time in 6 days coffee smells good. Hoping a little caffeine this morning will help the vice grip on my skull!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Drunk sleep is not beneficial sleep anyway, you are not getting rest but just sedated. After about 10 days I started sleeping better and now I am realising just how important a full nights sleep is. Just how my body delt with this poison for do long I do not understand.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Alcanon;5236564]My last day of drinking was Saturday, the 28th and today is the start of day 3.

The plague of self recrimination that has in the past kept me awake hasn't hit yet but the back and hip aches, twinges, leg spasms are bad enough. /QUOTE]

Hi Alcanon, I'm a weekender trying to quit. Last time I had alcohol was about 8pm Saturday too. I'm experiencing the cramps and twitches right now as well. I have it in the past only once or twice. Its not fun, but will pass.

On a sidenote, I'm not entirely convinced its from drinking, I think I might have a bug as I have had really bad diarrhea since sunday. I know I'm dehydrated. But excessive drinking can give you those symptoms. Tough it out, don't drink. I wish you the best.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Alcanon!! Things will adjust in time!!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, it takes a while to learn to really sleep instead of just blacking-out/passing-out.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 14 going on 15 for me and I should've been asleep a couple of hours ago. It will probably be (hopefully be) 1am before I fall asleep. I find that I've had more clear thinking and energy in the day on less sleep than I ever did hungover so that's a plus. Hang in there.. it does get better! Congrats on 3 days. Making it to 3 was the hardest step for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was about 4 or 5 days myself. Nightmares and sleep paralysis kept me awake.

Well done on day 3, Hang in there.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They were awful but if I really did a once over and gauged how I felt after two (or zero) hours of sleep I actually felt better than I did with a hangover.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I'm not a joiner by nature but I have to say that this site has been an immense emotional help over the past 3 days, and yes, today is day 4... Taking it one day at a time and reading and posting here has been very good for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcanon, keep pushing through! This will pass. I have found that spending my last hour awake reading really helps me. I started taking my showers at night. Turn on a fan for white noise. And I "make" myself feel how relaxed I am lying in my comfy bed, sober, not numb. And then I finally drift off. These are just a few ideas to try