Notices

Uk help needed with driving

Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't let you anger fuel your AV. Use this as a sign that the best is to quit drinking so you can drive whenever and wherever you want!!!

Be patient, this is going to work out.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks... Really wish never bothered asking for help though.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I decided before this happened I had finished with wine... So was even more annoyed when they told me to keep drinking. I know been drinking too much but certainly didn't see myself as hardcore.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Firstly you should wait for the DVLA to contact you telling you that they are revoking your licence. Then you can appeal.
I do think this is very unfair as you are probably drinking in the evenings and not driving. I went to my dr around this time last year to let him know that I was drinking a bottle of vodka every evening. He mentioned driving the next morning and I said yes I do. He then said that I would definitely be over the limit. That was it, I was very lucky. If I had lost my licence my job would be lost too.
Feel very sorry for you as you don't sound like a person at risk of drink driving.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks.

I have been made aware about driving in the morning. Every weeknight in bed by 10. It's only the last two weeks it increased and I wasn't driving due to oh off and half term. No excuse though!

Really hope I can sort this out. Apart from oh no one knows at present. Too ashamed.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just don't start drinking again. Take this horrible event as a sign.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Tumble,

On the face of it it seems harsh but of course I'm not in your GP's shoes

At least if your seeing him/her on Monday you can give all the background information and "context" that you have given to us. You would be entitled to a copy of the GP's memo to the DVLA

I doubt your doctor would have done this for no reason -try to find out what his/her specific concerns are

That was a useful link by the way Esspee, I had no idea they could do that
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is what you wrote in your first post tho Tumble:

Then told me if I drive she will report me to dvla.
thats not quite the same as she is reporting you?
or did something else happen?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My doctor also threatened me with reporting me to dvla only if I carried on drinking.
I have to attend regular check ups and when I attend i have to take a breathalyser test.
I had to explain my plan for recovery, I can totally understand why any doctor would report someone with alcohol problems, im just glad my doctor was understanding and gave me a chance at recovery.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
That the thing I not.

It's got up and above 2 bottle the last two weeks because of family beaverment. I went to her office for help. I'm not drinking at mo and haven't since sunday night. Suffer from health anxiety and thought might get withdrawal and wanted help just in case.
if your driving licence has been revoked on medical grounds you will need to contact the DVLA drivers medical group. They are ok and deal with people like us all the time. If your doc has informed them then he/she is genuinely concerned and felt it was the right thing to do. You did the right thing by going to the doc even though it doesnt feel like that at the moment no doubt. The problem is that we tend to get in our cars when drunk. Everyone with an alcohol problem does it. The DVLA will no insist that you enter a recognised alcohol program - there are several options on the NHS. I did a home unassisted detox which means pills that get you drunk for a week so that your body doesnt go into shock when you take away the drink. You have to prove 1 years sobriety before they will look at your case again. The means that the sooner you start the sooner you get your driving licence (and your health and life) back. I got mine back 3 months ago and a year wasnt that long when I look back. It really helped me focus on my sobriety and also removed the worry that I would get into a car and kill somone which was always on my mind when I was drinking. You did the right thing with the doc because you have essentailly and inadverently started your road to recovery. There is so much good stuff in store for you that after you get used to the idea that you are an alcoholic, you will bloom. Good luck and get stuck in now you have started. Takes a lot of courage to go to the docs. Also - as a last comment - you can prove wether you are abusing drink or not with a blood test. This does not test for alcohol - it tests for the chemicals that are present in your body as a result of long term alcohol abuse. Go and get the test as soon as you can so that in a year they can see a "before and after" view of your rehab.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi, not sure if Dr has reported me. She said she would. Until I see her on Monday I'm doing as she said and not driving.

I had blood taken yesterday, but as previously said haven't had drink since Sunday night.

I would be happy to attend regular check ups if I can keep my licence... This is awake up call.

Thanks for replies