Notices

Starting my sobriety out of terror!

Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Fear will work on the beginning but if you want sobriety for good you need to make a plan. The plan has to be completely tailored to yourself. Read a lot here and you will get some ideas. You have all kinds of options AVRT, AA... You can use them both or pick what you like from each., there are other methods too. Part of my plan is reading here everyday (like a mini meeting) and whenever my ugly AV shows up, I post and use techniques I learned here like "playing the tape". Seeing people's feedback always gives me perspective. You don't have to wait for AV tot show up to post, you can post anytime you need to just to vent, say hi or ask questions... Whatever you need.

How will you socialize? You will become more confident and comfortable in your own skin once you start working on your recovery because for many of us it is so much more than quiting the booze. You will start getting to know yourself and how to deal with feelings that before were covered and soaked in booze. I have also started to truly believe that being sober is really cool and nonconformist (I read that from a member here). Imagine being present always, always being accountable for your actions, no more "I was drunk and stupid" excuses for any behaviors.

I tried to moderate my drinking for years and it almost always ended up the same, drunken stupor, blackout, fights, yuck! It was when I finally said that I wasn't drinking that all that weight came off my shoulders. If you can't think in terms of "forever" start with today, focus on not drinking today everyday.

It will be hard at times but if you keep your eye on the prize it will be so rewarding. I don't mean to scare you more but I'm actually sitting in a hospital, it's now about 5am, where I spent the night by my beloved father-in-law who is having mayor issues a lot brought by drinking, cirrhosis. Less than a year ago he was still calling me his drinking buddy and asking me when I would drink again. He is 66, much older than you, but we (you and I and all of us here) do not want to end up like this. He is totally miserable and has almost given up. Today he told me he wants to just die...

I am so glad you found this ace. It has really made a big difference in my life.

Last edited by Nowsthetime; 02-25-2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Waned to add
Old 02-25-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Here's what will probably happen when you stop...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lts-today.html
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I admire your mature insight. I wish I had been more like you when I was younger x
Old 02-25-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back Grantious!!

Alcohol is certainly not the centre of the universe, people have happy fulfilled lives without it, there are other places to go rather than bars and other activities to do rather than drinking, you just need to figure out what you're interested in and find like minded people!!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

update! i got my LFT results... everythings fine apparently, i had raised liver enzymes for a while due to alcahol abuse but everythings normalised!
feel slightly less stressed
Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats! Me, myself I had those scary liver test results. But then I laid off the hard liquor , switched to beer, and now I always pass those tests.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hhah i feel ya.. i just lost some weight :P. unfortunately i'm not amazingly sober.. still the once a week "i wish was justified" drinks :P
Old 05-01-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please don't take your good results as a licence to drink...the human body is amazing in it's ability to repair itself, but it's not invulnerable.

The more years you drink the more chance you have of lasting irreparable damage.

You're a young guy - you could stop now and been none the worse for wear.

D
Old 05-01-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know !! quitting is pretty hard tho
Old 06-03-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I find myself feeling petrified to drink . And then there are the 4 horsemen.