Notices

Sober vs. Non Drinker

Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't drink alcohol. Ever. That is enough for me.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The longer I've been sober, the less I worry about the label lol.

There's 'before recovery' for me and 'after recovery'...

D
I love that quote Dee, my aim is to hit that and have before. Either way its lovely to read
Old 02-23-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itstheone View Post
I get that. but at what point does one REALLY move on and converts to the non drinker? And if possible. ...
Oh, I am a non-drinker. I don't even find it tempting. I've been to concerts, weddings, and a bar to watch the World Series, Xmas parties, Halloween parties. I am a non-drinker.

I think we (myself included) are always apprehensive to jump ahead or declare ourselves cured, evolved, whatever.

(Perhaps I should add that I was diagnosed with a serious medical condition caused by alcohol, potentially fatal but potentially reversible with abstinence, so I HAD to stop. No more of that ring-around-the-rosey-bullish!t here with me and alcohol. I had to stop....or die. I'm a non-drinker)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After getting comfortable in my sobriety I was more than just 'sober'. I was a non drinker. At first I was too preoccupied with thinking about recovery but when I got more comfy in my own skin, I started thinking of myself as a non drinker.

I rarely think of drinking, and when I do, the thoughts are fleeting and unimportant.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I think no one can tell you that. It's very individual. But you will know when it happens to you. In my experience there is something in it about the fear of drinking and addiction dissolving in the mind... I think it's the fear that keeps us vigilant in the beginning and serves as negative reinforcement for a while after quitting. For example, I always had this anxious reaction in the beginning when reading about relapses here on SR because it triggered a train of thought, what if... We also react to threatening/overly critical people that way because it taps into our own fears and triggers it.

From your concerns expressed here, it's quite clear that you are not at that stage yet where you feel at peace with all this. Don't push or rush it, let it run its natural course for you. I think it's good that you are going to a recovery group, but don't let yourself being overly influenced by negative thinking if you notice it does not support your recovery.
true dat! Thanks.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about this thread and wanted to add:

No matter how long we've been sober, we are always one drink, one drunk away from disaster. I don't mean that in the doom and gloom way, but it's true. I can never forget where I was or where my life was headed.

This does not mean that we're chewing our fingers off everyday thinking "Oh my god, I am one drink/drunk away from a disaster!!!" It just means to stay mindful. Remember.

That's why I'm on here everyday.

I used to roll my eyes when people would say that thing about "one drink away from blah blah blah" but after taking the alcoholic elevator to pretty much the bottom floor, it makes perfect sense. It is 100% true.

So, I'm a bonafide "non-drinker" but always mindful. It's pretty easy though. Nah, I don't drink.

Lots of people are non-drinkers. Not all are recovering alcoholics, but it helps me to think of all the people who don't drink.