Notices

Greetings from KY

Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings from KY

I guess it's time for me to introduce myself, I am Dan and am 28 years old I am living in a rented three bedroom house with my amazing girlfriend, and her son, all three of us are stereotypical Scorpios in many ways...

I'm one of the lucky alcoholics, whom didn't lose everything in order to find out that I had a problem, even at the last few years of my drinking career I knew that I had a drinking problem, and was accepting of it, hell some may even say proud.

My drinking had never really caused myself any problems with the law, though many of the things I had done drunk, honestly should have put me behind bars for quite some time, but people had always seen something in me, that I had never seen myself.

Even though I have came to terms with not drinking anymore as one drink can and more than likely will ultimately do me in, I am finding it difficult to cope with everything else, especially the issues that I had once used alcohol to cope with everything, due to the potential triggers I'd rather not come out and say them on an open board out of respect for the members here.

I am always irritable / angry at the drop of the hat due to unresolved issues in my past, that I had once used alcohol to cope with, as well as the new issues that come with sobriety, I've basically missed out on the majority of my life due to the time that alcohol and hangovers had taken up, and really trying to figure out my likes, as well as dislikes.

I am trying to get on ******** here (Like Medicade.) to get in, and be seen by a professional to speak with, as well as a pill doctor for Bi-Polar, and anxiety but does anyone have any tips for the time being?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dan its nice to meet you youl find a ton of support here

Have you tried meditation or breathing exercises

For cravings/urges http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Welcome
Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Dan! Glad you found SR and thanks for sharing your story. It's actually a very common one, nearly all of is used alcohol to try and cope with some other underlying issue, or merely as a way of hiding from reality. So when you quit, it's a whole new ballgame....and there is no "time out" from facing life.

What have you tried so far to help you learn to live sober? Talking things through like you are doing right now is a good step in the right direction. Local group supoort can help too...being around others that are facing the same problem can be very helpful.

You will find a lot of support and understanding here..hope you can stay for a while.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi!

Welcome, I struggle with all my wasted time due to hangovers and being drunk too, also dealing with things I used alcohol to cover up. But pushing through it is easier than I thought.
Best wishes xxxx
Old 02-21-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome from another Scorpio. How long have you been sober?? I only ask because I also self medicated anxiety and depression with alcohol. 7 weeks in and both have nearly disappeared.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Shaniel

It depends on how long ago you stopped drinking, but for me the irritability and the anxiety were worst in the first month or so?

D
Old 02-21-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Another Scorpio here too - welcome Dan.

I was emotional, angry, anxious for the first few months. Then everything settled down. I began to be grateful I was free, rather than resentful that I had to give it up. That's when the healing began. Hope you will stay with us to talk things over.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I knew I liked you Hev
Old 02-21-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dan!!