Notices

Sad

Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad

Today I missed football as I fell asleep and I've fallen out with some family members because they think I should go back to work else I'll lose my job. I'm down again.

Doctor on Wednesday, I need some answers, it's 6 weeks now on 40mg citalopram and not much improvement. Do I ask to change? Do I stay (this is the highest dose already) do I just go back to work and hope I can drag myself through?

I'm worn down with this, my head is full of negative scenarios. Missing football tonight which is something I love is really upsetting, my pay runs out soon and I can't afford to be off much longer.

I've talked to a counsellor , had some CBT, changed routines and I'm still no further on
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you can make it back to work I'd say give it a shot - the change of environment might help you get out of your funk. Worst case scenario you come home if it doesn't work our, right?

Regarding your question about what to ask for, don't ask for anything - just explain exactly what is going on. Tell them the meds and therapy aren't working. Maybe you need a different med or a different dosage, but you need to be very clear about exactly what is going on.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are not changing Stewy. I don't know if 6 weeks is enough time to give the medication a try and I hope your dr can advise you. Does it seem like you would be able to go to work, if the alternative was losing your job? I'm really sorry you're in this position.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi screwy don't know your past but I found being at work and getting a day to day routine helped me big time , also I found meds took 8 weeks to fully hey in to my system but the biggest setback was sitting around waiting for them to kick in. I know how you feel but it will get better time is the key keep yourself busy and remember a day at a time
Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will have to go back by mid march at the very very latest as that's when my pay runs out. The job is people management and I need to be on the ball which is fairly difficult when your trying to stave off persistent low mood and bouts of anxiety.

The propranolol I was given for the anxiety has done little.

I just feel that it's a long time to be in this state without seeing a return to function.

This is by far and away my toughest period to date
Old 02-16-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to tell you it helped me immensely to go back to work. I needed the structure and routine. I was able to get out of my own head for 9 hours a day.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
I just feel that it's a long time to be in this state without seeing a return to function.
Think of how long you were drinking. 2 months is a long time, but in the grand scheme of things it takes time for your mind and brain chemistry to get back to normal. You have an opportunity to let your doctor know on wednesday that things are not working too, perhaps a different med or a different dosage is in order.

I do think though that getting out and doing something would be helpful. Sitting around thinking about how bad things are won't make them better.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree speaking with your Dr and being crystal clear on what is happening etc im really sorry Stewy
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey 6 weeks on you should be noticing some improvement so if not maybe it's time to look at another AD. Don't know if this is your first or if you've been on others but if so maybe a different type. Can't just rely on medication though. I know you said you've 'had' cbt and talked to a counsellor but there's a difference between 'having' and learning coping skills and actually putting them into practice.
It may actually be a positive going back to work. I know every time I've been due to return I've been full of anxiety about whether I'll cope but actually when your there you kind of have to? It's a distraction and a return to structure as well as giving a sense of purpose which tends to disappear with depression.
Maybe your doctor could px a graded rehab return to work to ease you back a little? Xx
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand the CBT techniques, exposure and response and doing as much as possible to combat anxiety by putting myself in situations that bring it on.

I am by no means in the dark about what it takes to win the fight.

The low mood is what's holding me back and I really feel strongly about that.

I really would of expected a high dose at 6 weeks to have some sort of effect. It does raise questions for me as to whether it's the right one.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stewy speak to your Dr about diffrent medication or you could try your local hospital

You can pm anytime if you want to chat bud