Notices

I must keep trying!

Old 02-16-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I must keep trying!

I feel pretty pathetic to be honest. I came back here a couple of weeks ago full of good intentions and gearing myself up to quit (yet again) and managed one solitary night. I have been struggling to find a space to stop for months now after a decent spell (11 months) sober much of last year.

I have been waiting for a counselling appointment but there is a waiting list and it is now well over six weeks since I had an introductory session. I'm not blaming them of course - it is down to me - but I had intended to make my 'quit date' a few days before the first proper session and use the meetings to support my sobriety.

There's nothing new to add. I have tried to quit so many times and have had spells, some longish and most shortish, where I have been sober, but it has a hold on me that never seems to go away. All I want is to be happily sober. This morning I woke with what felt like an iron rod of fizzing crackling anxiety right through my body. I'm having a tough day with that.

I'm just posting to say I haven't given up and I'm here.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mentium, as long as you are alive, there is hope! Keep trying! All any of us have is ONE day - TODAY.

Can you do something to ease the anxiety a bit? Hot bath/shower, deep breathing, meditation?

Glad you are still trying.... Don't give up!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been through the same thing myself numerous times, quit, sometimes for long periods and then forget about the last time and think I can drink in moderation again and I know where that's going to end up sooner or later. I'm just now back at 3 weeks. I have an appointment tomorrow for outpatient counseling, it was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but they had to reschedule, I need some reinforcement on not drinking in the future. Just saying I'm not going to hasn't worked. Good luck
Old 02-16-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes there is hope and people do it with work.

The periods of sobriety are such a moral boost it constantly amazes me of the short memory we have, I went through the same for two years.

My saving was getting very active in a lot of AA meetings and working on the reasons I drank besides the addictive part. It requires work and change along with a time factor many of us don’t deal well with.

It helped me to remember that if I didn’t pick up the first drink one day at a time in a row I wouldn’t have to try to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 02-16-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mentium, you will be able to live happily sober but it might take a bit longer than you expect. And, the anxiety is typical, but temporary and if you can get through a few days like that, things will very likely improve. Hang in there, Mentium.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate a lot to your story mate.
I was seven months sober, made it through Christmas with not too many problems. Met a girl in January and rather than saying no I accepted a glass of wine. Fast forward one month and I was in hospital overnight after drinking so much vodka I poisoned myself.
On day five today and determined to quit for good. Can't get a councelling appointment for another 11 weeks because of the waiting list. At least my GP is being supportive.
Good luck buddy, I'll be rooting for you.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Mentium, you will be able to live happily sober but it might take a bit longer than you expect.
That was certainly the case with me. I quit and expected results within a few days. What I discovered is that after persistent alcohol use it takes months to restore normal brain functions. Well worth the effort, though. Best of Luck!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Never give up Mentium!! You can crack this!!