Notices

2 days!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days!

I made it two days so far . Of course I think about alcohol constantly though.
This is day three and I know I'll be fine. I'm worried about the weekend though. My hubby and I always go out for lunch on Saturdays. I know I'll want a beer!
I've told him that I want to cut back but for some reason I'm having a REALLY hard time making the choice to quit forever . He is very supportive about my choice as I've told him I have internal demons about my drinking. I know he'd be fine if I never drank again.

I have a girls weekend planned in two weeks. We will be staying downtown and doing wine tasting. Well that was the original plan anyway. One of the gals asked me to attend a wine event this weekend and I declined and told her of my abstinence. She admires my efforts but wanted to know if I'd be drinking at our girls weekend . She was extremely RELIEVED when I told her I probably would . Not exactly the support I was looking for but then I wasn't exactly firm in my decision either.

I feel a little lost. I think it would be best if I didn't drink because I know how much I'll LOVE IT. But I want too ( as you all know).

I'm nervous about how to handle my social life without alcohol.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Firstly well done on two days and welcome to the site

My advice would be make a choice, decide not to drink. The social pressure to drink is mostly in your head, I'd avoid the wine tasting if I were you just to be on the safe side.

Your desire to drink will lessen over time. Remember, you made this decision for a reason. Sometimes you have to be firm to establish to people your choice is final.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Girlluvs2party, to SR. Good job on 2 days.

I agree with LonelyShadow and his advice to skip the girls' weekend.

Give it time; you will grow into your new sober-skin and absolutely love how it fits.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job!

For me one sip of drinking will bring me to day 0. I banged my head often enough on the wall that I learned my lesson. I will never be able to drink in moderation, ever.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Girlluvs2party View Post
I've told him that I want to cut back but for some reason I'm having a REALLY hard time making the choice to quit forever .
Cutting back isn't quitting. It's the word we use to describe our attempt to drink without the consequences of drinking.

These attempts usually fail. Add to that the hard time you are having accepting never drinking again...I predict you are going to struggle with sobriety because you are letting your addiction rationalize continued drinking.

Hope you get this sorted out with a commitment to sobriety in place.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Probably best to be up front and open about not drinking BEFORE this event if you're intending to go!!

However for me when I got Sober it all came down to making some tough decisions, the activities I got involved in and the people I hung out with, and being 2 days in planning to go to a wine tasting event was not on the list at that time!!

You have to make Sobriety happen with your decisions!!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can you go to lunch at a place that does not serve alcohol. Most small diners don't. Why not try some place new for lunch?

If the party is wine tasting then I would advise not to go. I would not go to a skiing party, I don't ski. I would go to a cattle roping event, I don't rope cattle. I would not go to a drinking event, I don't drink.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3

I wouldnt go if i wasn feeling up to it dont feel lost its takes time to adjust and in the beginning its best just building sober muscles and avoiding such events

keep on reading & posting and make sobriety your priority

You have our support 24/7 bud
Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 3 too! We were going to go to a Valentines Dinner this weekend. I've opted to stay home and cook a beautiful dinner where I can control the atmosphere. Right or Wrong... if I go to dinner I'm going to be sweating bullets and arguing with that wino lady in my head all night long about whether or not to just try a sip. I'm not going to give her the opportunity. I don't want to have to start over on Day 1 on Monday.

I'm a 46 year old Day 3 Newbie who has drank wine my entire adult life so I barely know a thing.... but... my suggestion: Give yourself a gift and avoid situations that could be a challenge until you are strong enough to not cave in. But I'm on Day
Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too am on day 3, for what seems like the thousandth time. I always get to variations of consecutive days, and then rationalize another span of consecutive days of drinking. I've never been able to put in the rear view for good. Just posted because I'd like to see someone else's progress in this timeframe. I'm committed to sobriety. Don't know why I can't seem to get over the hump. Hopefully we both can this time!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Girl:

Your situation with your friend reminds me of mine. One of my friends told me that she wishes I would drink again...however, they are not the ones that have to live with the hangover from hell, the shame and regret that come with a night of drinking. You know why you came here. You don't want to be that way anymore and this is your life and you're making it what you want it to be, and that is amazing. Remember that this is such a personal choice. There is going to be girls night, lunches, dinners and activities with alcohol all around. So this is going to be all about you.

About the girls night. It is going to be up to you if you go. It is going to be all up to you if you drink. If you don't go the world is not going to end. If you go and you don't drink you'll be setting a precedent. If your friends are your real friends they will be supportive of your decision to be healthy. If they're not there could be many reasons for that. Many Times it makes others examine their own drinking in that makes them uncomfortable.

Now, if the fact of never drinking again really intimidates you, just set a smaller goal. Stay sober for a month, or a week, or day, or even a minute. Really examine what YOU want, what you want your life to be.

Remember. Sobriety is the "new black" You will start noticing positive physical changes and you will love it when you look at yourself in the mirror. That is one of the best incentives

Woooooo!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sobriety is the new black! I love that!