Notices

Are addicts more sensitive?

Old 02-06-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) as defined by the literature. More about that here:

16 Habits Of Highly Sensitive People

So basically, my ability to filter out things is not that great. Everything "moves" me. I cry watching card tricks, LOL.

So, when "major" life stressors happen, I don't deal real well. I am thinking that perhaps is one of the motivators for my drinking. To "buffer" the events of the world and not have to feel those very painful feelings. I wonder if HSPs are more prone to addiction.

Thoughts?
Well, I'm going to take the other side of this and say that quite of few of us are insensitive louts (although part of that may be the booze talking). At least among the men folk. Can't say as I have ever considered myself a poetic sensitive soul. Quite thick skinned, actually. But that's just me. Hard to characterize a whole group of people with such a broad brush.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would add that what these HSP characterizations are trying to do and what they mean by "sensitivities" is not the same as how the public uses the terms sensitive in everyday language.

Also, we all learn to deal with our own particular sensitivities and vulnerabilities in a variety of ways during our development. Traits and reactions that a child or young person displays strongly may not be visible at all in the same person in their adulthood. I know this for fact about myself, for example -- you would hardly recognize it as the same individual. Addictions and other dangerous behaviors are just some coping mechanisms... there are plenty of different types of defenses and emotional armors people develop over time as means of protection.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow, I met almost all the HSP criteria except not liking violent movies – I grew up watching Schwarzenegger and similar movies. I can see two aspects here. First, I do think highly sensitive people are more likely to end up self-medicating with alcohol or other drugs and thereby becoming addicts. My reasons for abusing alcohol regularly were mainly emotional (anxiety, stress, even boredom) and not due to partying or hanging out at bars.

I think a second aspect is that addicts in recovery (I can only speak for myself as an alcoholic though) tend to be much more sensitive in some respects since they’ve gone so long without dealing with life in a healthy way. Resentment has been a big problem for me. One of my last relapses was almost entirely due to a verbal warning I got at work just after returning from the hospital. I was just so ticked off that they would have the nerve to reprimand me, especially right after a hospitalization. I couldn’t get it out of my head. In reality, though, the verbal warning was entirely caused by past problems from alcohol abuse. I deserved it and it’s pretty much a miracle I’ve gone years without a more severe reprimand.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

my sober friends, both male and female, are very sensitive
Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Well, I'm going to take the other side of this and say that quite of few of us are insensitive louts (although part of that may be the booze talking). At least among the men folk. Can't say as I have ever considered myself a poetic sensitive soul. Quite thick skinned, actually. But that's just me. Hard to characterize a whole group of people with such a broad brush.
If you really are so thick skinned, why did you seek shelter in booze for as long as you Did?

I used to think I was tough and able to cope with life and people etc.

When I look back, anytime I had stress, bad bosses / jobs, break-ups etc, My drinking would escalate, a lot.

That's not a sign of emotional maturity. (thick skin)

Anyways, just my experience.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Have you heard of the MBTI? College students, new hires, and more the world over take this test every year. There are people who study the MBTI and become a professional in administering it, I mean they did the work, surely they can give an objective assessment on someone else's cognitive function stack, except what is that anyways? Well Jung started it long ago, but he's long dead, and wouldn't approve, yet Myers and Briggs totally got it something or another and someone else decided to capitalize off it.

Wow! The assumptions our species runs with. Have you ever had a friend who you really thought you knew, except that one day they did something out of their character and you just didn't know who you were talking to? If we can't be fully honest and know ourselves entirely, how are we to know each other to their core?

What tricks we play. So this 16 traits deal, says who? How are these qualified, and quantified, these subjective traits. I have a question, what is intellect, and how much of it does it take to walk away when someone starts trying to act like they are more or less of anything than the next?

Best I can tell, we mold ourselves based on what we allow in. Variation exists, but the culture seems to play a more significant role. Familial upbringing is a biggie as well. So what makes you tick, snap, and jump? Do other things make you not much react at all? Guess what? You qualify as one of seven billion plus human beings currently inhabiting this planet. You get a ticket to not-so-special sorry please-try-again reality land and just in time to grow up.

Thanks for playing!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
EndGame

As a means of clarifying my earlier post on this thread, I did not at all mean to suggest that it's a matter of debate as to whether or not designations such as HSP represent pathology. It is not. As I commented, it is merely a shorthand designation as to how a particular individual experiences him- or her- self, and indicates nothing about that person's mental well-being.

I apologize for offending anyone with these or any other of my remarks in my post.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
If you really are so thick skinned, why did you seek shelter in booze for as long as you Did?

I used to think I was tough and able to cope with life and people etc.

When I look back, anytime I had stress, bad bosses / jobs, break-ups etc, My drinking would escalate, a lot.

That's not a sign of emotional maturity. (thick skin)

Anyways, just my experience.
I would say I kept coming back to the booze because it is an addictive drug and I have a genetic predisposition to like it. To tell the truth, whenever I'm going through something bad, I don't feel like drinking. I went through a bad stressful incident one week into sobriety and had no desire to drink. My reasons to drink are more thrill seeking and loving the buzz and thinking that life without alcohol would be too boring. Obviously the AV talking. But then I don't think I'm like most problem drinkers in this regard. Of course, I don't consider myself to be emotionally mature. Just not sensitive.