Notices

Help me through the day

Old 02-01-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What Scott said is true.

You may want to discuss it with your counselor.

A visit to your Dr. might be a good idea, you may need something to help with withdrawals. I can only speak for myself, coming of alcohol had to be done under medical supervision once I hit withdrawal stage.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i would love to learn more about your withdrawal and how you managed Sleepie. Even if it's by private messages.I could use all the help right now. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same way, but it's a little better than yesterday. In addition I have an MRI this week on a tumor, so that's hanging over me in addition to withdrawals. Guess I picked a bad week to stop drinking (quote from airplane. Bad joke)

Sleep should help. I tried bynadryl last night but my cramps and panic were too much and I woke up every 15 minutes.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Me too Gardennerd...I sleep for 45 minutes to an hour and then the panic keeps me up for hours...
Wish I could give you a hug right now...
Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks. Try bynadryl maybe. It's has the same ingredients as some over the counter sleep aids.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I will try it. Thank you Gardennerd.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a lot of people in this forum are new.

Please remember not to recommend meds & things for other people here.

Thats medical advice and is not allowed.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2509271

Stick to your own experience please

A lot of people have had trouble with using benadryl and then giving it up.

If you feel you need meds Patricia, I recommend seeing a Dr.

I've had some success here:
http://umm.edu/programs/sleep/patients/relaxation
D
Old 02-01-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok, sorry. I'm not a doctor of course.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's a great article. Thank you Dee. Getting close to bedtime here, I will try some of the techniques. Thank you so much.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have been in your situation many times. It is mental torture. The only thing you can do is ride it out. Detoxing is inevitable sometime so go for it. I wouldn't sleep for at least 3 days usually. Couldn't shut off my mind. If I dozed off I would jolt awake after about 10 mins with panic. The anxiety is largely a biological response to the booze leaving your system.

I would sit on the sofa in front of the TV with my laptop open to this site for 3 days straight until sleep set in. Usually I took a sick day on a Friday and rode it out until Monday. Then the challenge is staying sober.

Bananas, eat them! I swear they help. Easy to digest and full of nutrients for your brain to heal! Keep posting here.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't want to say too much about it but- I think it may be a good idea to call your doctor in the morning and tell them what you are trying to accomplish and that you are having withdrawals. As soon as you tell them what is going on physically and mention alcoholism and withdrawals, they will take you seriously. My route- unfortunately I knew what was coming and went to the ER. It was embarrassing but losing a little momentary dignity was worth saving my life.

I managed my first stretch of sobriety by laying out my own rules with a counselor. I knew exactly what I would do if not for very strict boundaries, so after I was prescribed something for withdrawals, I met with my counselor 3 times a week. And peed in a cup for testing to ensure I had not been drinking, each time. I made these rules because I knew I needed them. I did this for about three weeks. then just weekly meets with the counselor.

It was very, very difficult. I was often so sleep deprived and weak I could barely sit up in the waiting area to see the counselor. But after the first month I felt so much better.

My advice is, talk to your counselor, talk to your doctor. Tell them your history and your fears. They will help you. Be totally honest. It will be ok.

And utilize your counselor as much as possible. Go on autopilot and do as they say- just do, don't think.