Notices

My wife and I are newly sober

Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile My wife and I are newly sober

Hi all, both my wife and I have been saying that we have a problem with alcohol for a year or so. We are parents to two very young daughters (basically still toddlers) and we binge drink at least once a week and end up totally hammered and recovering for the next few days while everyone around us suffers. Nobody knows how heavily we drink, but this weekend, we decided to stop drinking after another binge (kids were at grandmas). We know we are alcoholics and we know we cannot control our drinking. I feel fortunate to have my wife to support me and vice versa, but I also think it could make it harder since I can only control myself. I am fed up with being a drunk and am concerned that my kids will start to realize eventually. My wife and I made a list of every reason that we don't want to drink and it was long. We are obviously nervous about our journey but excited to not be drunks. Any advice is appreciated and thanks for listening.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on making the decision to change things around. You'll get lots of support here :-) xx
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Congratulations and Welcome to SR!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, redheadinus, to SR. Congratulations on your mutual decision to stop drinking.
We are here for you 24/7/365.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Welcome, Redhead. You sound like a mirror image of my wife and me! We finally quit two months ago mostly because we don't want to mess up our kids with our bad example (they are 4 and 7). It's great so far. My moods and temper with the kids are better and we are more rested and health. And dropping 10 pounds ain't bad either. Plus you are at a stage in life where you will not miss the bar scene as much (hopefully).

Cheers!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Making the decision is the first step. I am happy that you recognize what you need to do. We are here for you. Make your life what you want it to be.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. Fluffer, how has it gone? You are right, my kids are 1 and 2 so life in the bars is over, but that wasn't where I would get hammered anyway. Again, I think my wife and I are fortunate to have the support.

Jaded, I read some of your posts and what was going through your head at the times of those posts. Congratulations and thank you for the support everyone.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the same boat as you and your wife. Welcome. You will find that SR is a great tool. Post and reply often. Quitting drinking is the best gift you can give your children.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome redhead..You are in a good place.

Keep reading and posting on SR. There is tons of support
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I would have responded sooner but I had a fat cat in my lap and couldn't type.

You'll find lots of support here. Any time you might have the urge to drink, post here instead. We'll try to talk you off the ledge.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

It's good that you have made the decision to stop drinking. It's not easy, but so worth it. We will be here to support you.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hello and welcome
read around and post as much as you like - there's a ton of support here

D
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you redhead! I'm glad you're paying attention to the warning signs. My husband and I didn't - and it was our undoing. Never dreamed alcohol could take us down, but over the years it did. This won't happen to you - congratulations on your big decision to change your life.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TOGETHER, that is so cool! Now that REALLY is "two peas in a pod"
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Into the Void

[QUOTE=redheadinus;5163623]Thanks for the support everyone. Fluffer, how has it gone? You are right, my kids are 1 and 2 so life in the bars is over, but that wasn't where I would get hammered anyway. Again, I think my wife and I are fortunate to have the support.

Well, I think it's a lot easier if both of you guys are on board. If one partner want to quit and the other doesn't, I think that makes it a lot harder. You have the advantage that you are busy and have a lot going on in your life that is good and you're not lonely. So hopefully there is no big void in your life to fill. I don't know if you have read up on the topic or have tried to quit before, but it sounds like you are people who do not drink every day and periodically drink too much, mostly on weekends - in that case the hard part is not stopping. It's beating the tricks and games alcohol plays with your mind to get you back to drinking, like thinking that social occasions will never be fun again without drinking. Which of course is ridiculous if you ever track what you were doing when you drink and how you ended up feeling. So probably if you have not done so you should bone up on some theory about your addicted voice and PAWS and so on so you can recognize what will go on in your own minds. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Redhead, welcome to SR.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great decision Redhead, glad you are here. Much support & encouragement here!!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Redhard - that is so cool that you guys are doing it together. And your kids realize sooner then you think. Mine are 7-14 and when my son was 11 he told me "You drink too much" so I stopped for awile and then ended up trying to "moderate" and worked my way back up to every night and hiding vodka around the house. Stop now. Don't worry about how others "got worse or were so much worse off then you" - Rock bottom is when you stop digging.

Welcome aboard to sober train.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Redheadinus nice tto meet you