Notices

In need of support

Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thought I was a functioning alcoholic,too. Until I got into recovery and realized feeling hopeless,helpless,worthless, useless and wanting to kil myself was non functioning.
You've drank quite a bit for a long time and I wish I could tell ya getting sobers easy, but I almost every case it isn't. It was the biggest fight I ever put up and was for a while.
But stayin sober has been easy and worth every second of fight.

Pretty amazing I don't feel hopeless,helpless,worthless,and useless and don't want to kill myself any more,too!!

And yes, the hurs seemed seriously long. Hell, even the minutes felt that way!!!!
Early on many days I went one minute at a time.

It's all worth it.

Keep posting. Let us know what's goin on in yer melon and we may be able to help.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well done for getting through tonight. You've done amazing xx
Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

OK! I got through the cravings.... tonight will be a success!!! Thanks all!! Tomorrow will be a new struggle... going on a date with a man I suspect may be an alcoholic as well (funny how we find eachother).... I'll have to make an excuse not to have a drink at dinner --- this will be tough!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

We are given choices, I think. If we desire sobriety above all else - for me, I had to make a plan that would effectuate change. To get a little sober time I had to make a choice to stick to my plan.

I had to find a way that the decision to not drink, TODAY was going to be met. That required a lot of support - here and elsewhere in my case.

But, I had to take it in small - simple parts. Just today, there is no choice, just my plan not to drink.....maybe tomorrow - but not for today. I will deal with tomorrow if it comes later.....

Kind regards
Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey usedto

Welcome. Two days is phenomenal. Congrats! Keep close to SR and put a plan in place to get you through to tomorrow and its day 3! I know what I am writing is not great advice but I am only one day ahead of you but wanted to let you know that your not alone.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi usedtobepretty - it's great to have you with us. I found talking things over here really relieved my anxiety & was a good distraction. You're on edge now, but it won't always feel this way - it'll be much easier as you get some sober time behind you. You're doing a wonderful thing for yourself - and you're going to make it.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

welcome, usedtobepretty,
i heard you mention about not knowing what to do with the time; here's a whole thread about it.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2093545

will keep you busy as long as you decide to be busy

and please allow yourself the option of putting the date off to a later date; going out with an alcoholic on a date where there might be alcohol involved when you're just a couple of days sober sounds like courting trouble.

or maybe it's a coffee date?

take care of yourself and your sobriety; put it first and you'll do okay.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome, usedtobepretty, to SR. We are here for you 24/7/365.

Wine was my poison, too. The good news is that you can leave it behind you.

Glad you found SR.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Pretty is what I will call you! I refuse to call you by the name you picked for yourself

Many people on here call that voice in your head that tells you to drink even when you don't want to you AV or Addictive Voice. You don't have to listen to it anymore!! You can and should give yourself permission to tell it to NO. There is an old you inside yourself who is not an addict and is trying to get free! Listen to that voice.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I used to be pretty too. Functioning with 2 bottles of wine a day too. Co workers smelled my wine breath on me as well. We can do this. When does it start to get easier? Stay strong.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Pretty! I knew you'd mentioned a night out & just wanted to wish you luck. Actually, as late as I'm online I guess I should say, Hope you had a good time!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey "Used to Be!"
You seem to be heroically pursuing sobriety all by yourself. Suppose you're doing some rock climbing and you're just getting the hang of it. Do you suppose it might be a good idea to have some comrades along and some coils of safety rope? What I mean is that the risk is less and the struggle easier if you have some contact with other recovering alcoholics. That doesn't necessarily mean AA if that makes you very uncomfortable or you can't find a congenial meeting. But it's always worth a try. With your resources you should be able to network to a group that doesn't do much drinking. And there's always counseling and you could get some good tips and maybe connections that way. Sometimes there are group therapy meetings and you might make some non drinking friendships that way. Good luck.

W