Notices

Day 39: Cravings

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Day 39: Cravings

Today is day 39 and I feel more and more confident as the days roll by. However, this last Sunday I had a wicked case of "craving the drink". My wife and kid were going out of town for the day to visit my mother in law and I was happy that I'd get some time to myself since I had the day off from work. Once they left the thoughts of having a drink began to go through my mind, the rationalization of "just today" and "once won't hurt". I began to plan it out; how I would make up the excuse as to why I wasn't answering the phone when my wife called, how I'd pay with cash so she couldn't see the transaction on the phone app, what I would do when she came home, the reasons I wanted to drink and so on. In the past, when my family went off to do whatever for the day, I'd use it as a free for all to get drunk. As I thought more about it, there haven't been any of those "days off" since I got sober. I think maybe it was trigger, or memory of what I did when I was home alone. Sunday was hard, I didn't think I would make it, and those thoughts made me depressed and I kind of fell into a downward spiral. I pretty much had given up but thankfully refused to go to the store. I was reading posts on SR, despite not posting myself which I should have, and tried to get motivated again to keep from drinking. I did it, I didn't drink and the next morning I felt so relieved and happy that I didn't. The scary thing is how close I came to breaking, and how, at the time, my justifications and rationalizations seemed to make perfect sense to me. This is tough and this instance came out of no where, I let my guard down I suppose. But, another day sober, one day at a time.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad that you stayed strong and persevered, Jayman.

SR can be a powerful tool. Even non-active participation (reading) can be beneficial; glad you took that step.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 39 is fantastic Jayman!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't cave jayman
welcome back - I agree SR is a good place to be

D
Old 01-21-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome work on 39 days!

More power to you jayman!