Notices

Beginnings of a plan

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginnings of a plan

I wanted to go to an AA meeting tonight, though I have to admit I'm kind of scared. I need to at least give it a shot and see if it is for me. This may sound like a copout but I couldn't find the list I'd looked at before that showed the meeting I wanted to attend. It was perfect: next town over, 8-9 PM, Monday night, right in the primetime of my AV activity. So that's on the to-do list. Find that list and go to that meeting.

What I've been doing the last couple of months has been just trying to hold on but not actually DOING anything. Of course the days drag by when you're just sitting around wishing you weren't an alcoholic. So I need to be more active.

1) Workouts 5 days a week. More if I have time and am up to it. 2 weight training sessions, 3 cardio.

2) Back to eating reasonably. I've been letting myself eat anything and everything because of my alcoholic pity party. No mas, por favor. Not necessarily dieting, but eating normally.

3) At least one hour playing guitar EVERY day. No excuses, I love to do it and it makes me feel good.

4) To-do lists. Tomorrow's is not extensive. Eat breakfast (because I usually forget), pay bills, do laundry, make bed, remember "you don't drink"

5) Journaling. I bought a notebook today for this purpose. A few minutes ago I opened it up to write the first entry thinking that I had nothing to say, but I filled a whole page without even trying. It'll be interesting to see what falls out of my head if I let it.

6) Survival kit. Not sure yet how to implement this. Maybe a pencil box full of index cards with platitudes, inspirational sayings, notes from myself to beg myself to stay sober. Still a work in progress.

7) I will try to limit my time on SR. Maybe 2 hours a day? Since I joined I've spent so much time here that I was forgetting to go on with my life. Putting off things like cleaning, laundry, cooking good meals. Simple things that make me feel good.

8) AA. I touched on that before, but I wanted to officially add it to my plan. I might hit one meeting and hate it. Might love it. Don't know, but I'm going to try it.

9) I don't drink. That's my new line. Not "cutting back" or "taking a break". I don't drink.

May be more to come. We'll see.

Thanks all,
S
Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think adding more recovery related things to your life can only help SDH.

D
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will certainly look into that as well, Dee. I've seen some acronyms here I'm not familiar with and I'll check some of those out. AVRT, SMART. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to an actual bookstore and look for some good reading in that direction. You know, instead of just googling to get a basic idea.

Looking back at my list it does seem short on recovery stuff. Just mainly getting more active about life stuff. Suggestions are welcome, I'm new to all this.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some sort of therapy would probably be good. Don't know where I stand with that as I have no insurance and don't know how I'd pay for it. Another thing to look into.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just for your own ionterest, here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach SDH

D
Old 01-20-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with D good luck SDH
Old 01-20-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
Some sort of therapy would probably be good. Don't know where I stand with that as I have no insurance and don't know how I'd pay for it. Another thing to look into.
AA's been great therapy for me and only $1/hr. and if I don't have that dollar I don't have to pay and I still got the therapy from a group of therapists.
I recall early on many times that dollar paid for 20 or so therapists for an hour.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's good that you're trying to fill your time with productive activities. Anything that takes the mind off using is helpful.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

More power to you SDH!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
How much did you used spend on drink? Would that pay for a therapist ?

AA is free if you have no money and pretty good therapy too.

I think you are doing brilliantly, SDH