Notices

Tracking my food

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tracking my food

So I've downloaded a free app to track my food intake to stay around 1200 calories. In addition to maintaining sobriety, I need to lose 50lbs. I am hoping that by tracking my intake, it will help me to not drink. Has anyone done this in partnership from abstaining and was it helpful to you?

Checking in periodically today so that when I leave at 5, I go straight home! Not to get beer!! I need to be sober!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exactly this ^^ Ive abstained from alcohol since Jan 1st and stuck to an extremely strict diet because if I put on weight I know I WILL start drinking again - so for me - stopping drinking was to assist with my diet and the diet assists me stopping drinking - which was a must. I need to lose 50 pounds as well ( having put on 50 pounds over last 18 months ) - all the best
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey Jillian

No matter what your goal is tracking calories is one of the best ways to stay on top of it. I use an app myself and I think most people should take advantage of technology in this regard.

Also, do you exercise at all? Successful weight loss comes from a combination of both good diet and exercise. And it will help keep stress in check and keep you fit and focused on sobriety!
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with that Jillian..i lost half a stone 2 years ago when i gave up..hoping to lose another half this time.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Duplicate post lol
Old 01-12-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whitehorses View Post
Good luck with that Jillian..i lost half a stone 2 years ago when i gave up..hoping to lose another half this time.
The " empty" calories in the wine put half stone on me.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Duplicate post x
Old 01-12-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am right there with you (50 pounds and all). The less I drink, the more I eat.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Jillian i dieted around month 8/9 i was underweight when i got sober so had to gain some weight first
Old 01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't exercise but definitely planning in a least walking a few times a week to start with. I feel like if I walk as soon as I get home, it will be easier and keep me occupied so that I don't drink. Just logged in my peanuts for a snack, lol, I only have 400 calories left to eat for today.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat! Stopped drinking and started trying to lose weight. I tried the free app a few months ago but wasn't sticking to it mainly because I would drink and then eat junk to recover. so I decided to try the weight watchers points. Never thought I would try it and thought it was stupid before. But it actually is a nice mind trick to get you to eat less calories and more veggies and fruits over bad stuff. But I am also serious this time. I have about 50 lbs to lose as well.

On day 6 sobriety and reduced calories and have lost 2.5 lbs.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

Tracking your caloric intake is an incredibly effective way to becoming a healthy weight. I have found that by avoiding all of the empty calories beer (I like the good heavy stuff that is REALLY bad for you) it is much easier to stick with a 1500 cal diet for the day!

I have had great luck with Weight Watchers, a few years back I lost 30 pounds on that program. I put most of that back on over the past year and am working on getting back down again. Ideally I need to lose about 35-40, but I would be happy with about a 20# loss.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job owl!

I have slacked on my tracking this week. I did weight watchers before and lost weight. Also didn't drink as much.

I'm really trying not to drink tonight or not as much! I'm still telling myself I can have just one! Ugh!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Great job owl!

I have slacked on my tracking this week. I did weight watchers before and lost weight. Also didn't drink as much.

I'm really trying not to drink tonight or not as much! I'm still telling myself I can have just one! Ugh!
Understandable! With this past Super Bowl weekend I ended up drinking about 2 days worth of points/calories in drinks alone!! So I basically messed up this week and have to work hard to get out of the negative. I really want another drink tonight as well but am fighting that little voice.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Use the support available and reach out desertOwl!! . . . there's no shortage here on SR!!
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. ...what ap do you use? I'm logging my food intake in a notebook. It helps. Also, there is a good group in the fitness, health and nutrition section of this site with lots of good suggestions. It's called healthy eaters group.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

huh... I got weighed at doctor office today, I gained a stone the past few months - gotta drop a couple so I can fit into my bikini by spring
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I'm in the same boat. ...what ap do you use? I'm logging my food intake in a notebook. It helps.
Happy - I use SparkPeople. It's kind of like weight watchers but it's free and no points system.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Same boat also.
I have found that FOR A TIME Im going to eat well- and be free to eat what- when I want only because Quitting 2 addictions can prover VERY taxing....want to egt this one down first.....also your drunk body was used carbs n sugar....